Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2008, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
Depends on the mesurment really. There are many frequencies that are way outside of the audio spectrum which is about 20Hz to 20Khz. This is the "band-width" of human hearing more or less. It changes with age and of course some bass frequencies can still be felt but not heard usually way under 20Hz...
Many audio tests will only concentrate on this area only.
Soundcards usually have filtering sections to remove unwanted signals and only certain parts of the circuit are suceptible to any interference that can be of a issue to playback. Some blow the entire subject of EMI/RFI right out of proportion. If it is a concern for you buy a sheilded card or shiled the one you have.
You are correct in that some get way to anal about the entire subject and worse many use their current audio gear or knowledge to make up for other shortcomings in their personality. People that are rude and jump on others who are just learning. You can know more then another and offer your advice and opinion without turning it into a *issing contest. You will find alot of that going on in the larger "dedicated" audio forums.
I have a background in Electronic engineering and I add a little bit of info to my reviews about electronics as I figure this helps people learn about what makes these cards function so they can make informed decisions based on reading specs and other information. Although I try not to get too complicated just enough to convey the point. Hope this Helps.
Those forums are indeed full of posts that are wastes of bandwidth (they seemed almost inevitable in discussions about cables). I quickly learned to just avoid threads that had decayed to that point. That aside, what I've managed to glean from discussions on the subject is that when you try to "block" HF noise that is already in the circuitry, then that noise may modulate itself down to an audio frequency if it is not damped somehow.
Old December 22, 2008, 03:12 PM
Allstar

Without getting to indepth and going way off topic; that is sort of on the topic of Harmonic distortion, where certain frequencies can affect others. Forums are great if you can extract the useful from the useless information.
Old December 22, 2008, 04:43 PM
Rookie

I should have realized that intermodulated noise would just show up on a THD plot anyways.
Old December 25, 2008, 02:44 AM
Rookie

experts in a fields have built distinctions that require some training/practice to get to the full experience.
I enjoy coffe, even if I cant give every nuance of what a coffe tastes like as someoneone who are testing it for the producer.

I will enjoy my essence stx when it comes since I to some degree can hear the differences.
I just hope I dont need to get new recordings of my music ;)
Old December 25, 2008, 05:26 AM
Allstar

The only time you might need new music is if your using low bitrate or poorly encoded MP3. I moved away from that years ago. FLAC and high VBR are the only files I bother with and I am slowly moving totally to FLAC. NO that the FLAC file format is improtant rather, the Lossless file is what I am after.
Old December 25, 2008, 06:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Essense STX added to NCIX, not in stock, so relax :P

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=Asus

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old December 25, 2008, 07:08 AM
Allstar

A few I know have received cards ordered from the Egg. They are out to the public....
Old December 25, 2008, 09:02 AM
Allstar

A posted on Head-fi has stated that right out of the Box, the Essence cards heapdhone amplifier sounds better to him then his $400 dedicated Can ampliifer.
I mention right out of the box, as the card will also get better over time the filters will "burn-in" providing improved soudn quality.
More impressions to follow.
Old December 25, 2008, 08:04 PM
Rookie

The stock check function on NCIX is saying they have stock.
Old December 28, 2008, 12:23 PM
MVP

Well I ordered it because I got the email saying its IN Stock now but thats a lie.. it means their distributor has it. Quite misleading :(