Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2008, 01:09 PM
Allstar

AD8610, are the single (mono) channel version of the 8620's which are high quality analog opamps. I have one of the 8620 moduels and they sound great and measure really good. If it is a case of just upgrading the sound from the Prelude, you can always change out the opamp on the Prelude but if you need a external amplifier for your heapdhones then this may be a good solution. So, if your looking for my opinion on the opamps they are considered quality audio opamps.

Last edited by Robscix; December 12, 2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old December 12, 2008, 01:37 PM
MVP

Thank you.
Old December 13, 2008, 11:55 AM
Rookie

Would I be correct in assuming that the output impedance of the card is low (below 1k Ohms)?
Old December 13, 2008, 11:58 AM
Allstar

Can I ask why your wondering?
Old December 13, 2008, 01:06 PM
Rookie

I want to select a stepped attenuator with an appropriate impedance value. If the impedance value of the attenuator is too low relative to that of the output on the source it presents too heavy a load for the source, but if the value of the attenuator is too high relative to the poweramp input impedance it will not be able to drive it properly. Poor matching on either end can cause significant distortion. With an active preamp this is usually not a problem because the input values are high and output values are low, however with a passive volume control (ie. a stepped attenuator) the input and output values are exactly the same so you have to be careful to balance the impedance needs of the source output and amp input.
Old December 14, 2008, 10:42 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
No the AV100 and AV200 are not BOTH relabled 8788's. The AV200 is a 8788 base but some have said there may be internal difference but there has been nothing to verify or dimiss the idea. The AV100 is another 8787 or something similar I can't remember the exact coing off hand but they are not the same. The STX uses a similar chipset as you said to the DX...

I'd thought "Oxygen HD" was a single chip rather than a family of similar chips, but indeed there are (at least) the two variants you mention.
Old December 14, 2008, 11:06 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
They are using the DAC they could source, there was issue with the other as it is being dis-continued or something of this nature. They are usign the best DAC avialable to them. The D2 would use a DAC with 123dB SNR but in normal practice the D2 would never even hit 120db SNR. The supporting ciruitry isn't up to the task.
Fair enough, anyway the overall SNR for the Essence STX is 124dB, so it's limited by something other than the DAC, so upgrading the DAC probably wouldn't have a significant effect. And upgrading the supporting circuitry to allow an overall SNR of (approximately) 130dB would probably make the card unreasonably expensive. The "best of the best" DAC would've been nice for bragging rights, but otherwise wouldn't make a whole lot of difference.

I didn't mean disparage the D2 DAC's - until the Essence STX came along they were best DAC's on any consumer sound card, and they're still better than the DAC's in many (most? all?) low and mid range pro-audio cards. The D2 supports 7.1 channel audio, so it needs 4 DAC's and their supporting circuitry; whereas, the STX is stereo and thus only requires a single DAC. A 7.1 channel card using the same DAC's and (expensive) supporting circuitry as the STX would be horrendously expensive. I meant it as an example of how high-end the STX DAC's are, and to illustrate how insignificant $1.20 would be compared to the difference in price between the D2 and STX DAC's.

The Essence STX is pretty much perfect for me: I use hifi headphones on my computer, so I have no need for 7.1 channel support, and at the same time I can take full advantage of high quality stereo output. Furthermore, I've been looking for a good soundcard or external DAC box for awhile now. So the STX is at the top of my personal computer hardware wish list.
Old December 14, 2008, 11:35 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingDragon View Post
Fair enough, anyway the overall SNR for the Essence STX is 124dB, so it's limited by something other than the DAC, so upgrading the DAC probably wouldn't have a significant effect. And upgrading the supporting circuitry to allow an overall SNR of (approximately) 130dB would probably make the card unreasonably expensive. The "best of the best" DAC would've been nice for bragging rights, but otherwise wouldn't make a whole lot of difference.

I didn't mean disparage the D2 DAC's - until the Essence STX came along they were best DAC's on any consumer sound card, and they're still better than the DAC's in many (most? all?) low and mid range pro-audio cards. The D2 supports 7.1 channel audio, so it needs 4 DAC's and their supporting circuitry; whereas, the STX is stereo and thus only requires a single DAC. A 7.1 channel card using the same DAC's and (expensive) supporting circuitry as the STX would be horrendously expensive. I meant it as an example of how high-end the STX DAC's are, and to illustrate how insignificant $1.20 would be compared to the difference in price between the D2 and STX DAC's.

The Essence STX is pretty much perfect for me: I use hifi headphones on my computer, so I have no need for 7.1 channel support, and at the same time I can take full advantage of high quality stereo output. Furthermore, I've been looking for a good soundcard or external DAC box for awhile now. So the STX is at the top of my personal computer hardware wish list.
Actually, the DAC Chip on the Essence is rated for 127dB SNR - IIRC. That is a maximum ratings and the acutal measured rating is 124dB. Upgrading DAC's would be quite hard to do by hand and not really a good idea IMO. There is more to the overall sound quality then just the DAC chips. The filtering sections and amplification circuitry also play a very large part in the final sound quality of the card. This card has impressive specifications across the board. The OS-Con and Nichon Caps help. There are many ways to further improve this soundcard. As for the D2/D2X, it was surpassed by the current champion the HDAV 1.3 souncard, which also has very good analog sound quality but hasn't been reviewed very much. The Xonar Essence STX is a very nice sounding card and you would be very happy with it. Once released for sale that is. I am more then impressed with the card.

Last edited by Robscix; December 14, 2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old December 14, 2008, 11:42 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingDragon View Post

I'd thought "Oxygen HD" was a single chip rather than a family of similar chips, but indeed there are (at least) the two variants you mention.
The "OxygenHD" name is a C-Media branding and AKAIK is a copyright of that company. The 8788 is really the only chip to use the term "oxygenHD" that I have heard. They are great chips, orignally seen in the highly sucessful X-Meridian 7.1 and others.
Old December 14, 2008, 01:16 PM
MVP

They really need to release this bad boy. I thought for sure by now it'd be out.