Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2008, 03:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S. View Post
Is there any existing external DAC/HP Amp having competitive performance as this card (I meant 124dB SNR/ Dynamic Range)?

AFAIK not in the price range that I assume this card will be in ($200-300).
Old November 27, 2008, 05:17 AM
Allstar

True, I can't think of any external device such as a DAC etc, that would give such performance for the same price or cheaper..
Old December 9, 2008, 10:37 PM
Rookie

Default Wish list

This card would be perfect for me, and as it happens I've been looking for something better my motherboard's integrated audio.

I spend alot of time listening to music and playing games on my computer, and I'm becoming a head phone nut... My current headphones are Beyerdynamic DT660's which have ~30 Ohm impedance and thus no need for an amplifier; however, I'd like to experiment with higher end headphones in the future. And as a headphone user I'd rather pay for a single great DAC (stereo) rather than 4 good DAC's (7.1 channel surround).

I wish Asus would use the Burr Brown PCM1792 DAC (132Db SNR, $14.55) rather than the PCM1792A (127Db SNR, $13.35). Or even make the DAC swappable like the opamps are. On a card obviously aiming to provide the best stereo quality, saving $1.20 on the DAC just doesn't make sense - for comparison the "second best" Xonar D2 uses four Burr Brown PCM1796 DAC's (123Db SNR, $3.70 each).
Old December 9, 2008, 10:50 PM
Rookie

Default Linux support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspawner View Post
[...]Also, you didn't mention the chipset used... is it still relying on the CMI8788? I'd love to know, since I use Linux and sometimes can get left out in the dark when it comes to brand-new audio cards. That also leads me to wonder if I could even take advantage of the amp control under Linux. I'm lead to believe no, but even with "stock" settings, I'd imagine this would be a real treat to use.[...]
It's not supported by the current version of ALSA (1.0.18a); however, considering it uses the same DSP as the supported DX and D1 it might partially work. The rest of the Xonar line is supported, so there's a good chance support for this card will be added soon.

Matrix:Vendor-Asus - AlsaProject

The Asus AV100 and AV200 are both relabeled CMI8788 (Oxygen HD) chips, as far as I can tell the only difference is DTS encoding (supported by AV200 but not AV100).
Old December 10, 2008, 08:24 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingDragon View Post
This card would be perfect for me, and as it happens I've been looking for something better my motherboard's integrated audio.

I spend alot of time listening to music and playing games on my computer, and I'm becoming a head phone nut... My current headphones are Beyerdynamic DT660's which have ~30 Ohm impedance and thus no need for an amplifier; however, I'd like to experiment with higher end headphones in the future. And as a headphone user I'd rather pay for a single great DAC (stereo) rather than 4 good DAC's (7.1 channel surround).

I wish Asus would use the Burr Brown PCM1792 DAC (132Db SNR, $14.55) rather than the PCM1792A (127Db SNR, $13.35). Or even make the DAC swappable like the opamps are. On a card obviously aiming to provide the best stereo quality, saving $1.20 on the DAC just doesn't make sense - for comparison the "second best" Xonar D2 uses four Burr Brown PCM1796 DAC's (123Db SNR, $3.70 each).
They are using the DAC they could source, there was issue with the other as it is being dis-continued or something of this nature. They are usign the best DAC avialable to them. The D2 would use a DAC with 123dB SNR but in normal practice the D2 would never even hit 120db SNR. The supporting ciruitry isn't up to the task.
Old December 10, 2008, 08:27 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingDragon View Post
It's not supported by the current version of ALSA (1.0.18a); however, considering it uses the same DSP as the supported DX and D1 it might partially work. The rest of the Xonar line is supported, so there's a good chance support for this card will be added soon.

Matrix:Vendor-Asus - AlsaProject

The Asus AV100 and AV200 are both relabeled CMI8788 (Oxygen HD) chips, as far as I can tell the only difference is DTS encoding (supported by AV200 but not AV100).

No the AV100 and AV200 are not BOTH relabled 8788's. The AV200 is a 8788 base but some have said there may be internal difference but there has been nothing to verify or dimiss the idea. The AV100 is another 8787 or something similar I can't remember the exact coing off hand but they are not the same. The STX uses a similar chipset as you said to the DX...
Old December 10, 2008, 05:45 PM
Rookie

What is the output impedance on the RCA's?
I'm also curious to know how good the quality of the gold plating is: did they cheap-out and use a nickel substrate? I imagine this would be difficult to ascertain. Audiophiles consider nickel (and other ferromagnetic metals) in the signal path to add an unpleasant character to the sound.
Old December 12, 2008, 12:23 PM
MVP

Rob, I am curious how you think the Meier Audio 3MOVE will compare to this card.

Meier Audio

That will be my portable amp of choice but at its cost of $260 I'm trying to save some money and use it as my main amp as well and just use my Prelude's LineOut to drive it.
Old December 12, 2008, 12:36 PM
Allstar

The actually DAC module in that amp/DAC is a older one but your not using it. This amplfiier has a line in? I see a jack and a diagram that sort of shows it could be a line in. The guys at Head-fi are quite knowledgable about DAC and can amps if that is what your after.
Old December 12, 2008, 12:47 PM
MVP

Right it has a line In and also a DAC if you're using the USB connection.

From the specs, the opamps are AD8610

I guess what I was looking is for your opinion on the opamps used because I was thinking of just using the line out from the auzentech prelude into this, and plug my K702's into the 3MOVE.

For amplification two single AD8610 opamps are used for maximal sonic performance.(No dual or quad-opamps!)