Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2008, 12:33 PM
Top Prospect

Default Xonar to Denon via analog?

I currently have my Xonar Dx in my HTPC connected to my Denon avr-1507 via the optical cable, one of my co-workers was telling me this morning that I would get better audio quality if I connected it with the analog cables. Said I would get better sound separation. Is this correct, and if it is, will it be worth the roughly $20 to buy 4 3.5mm to composite cables?
Old November 4, 2008, 01:17 PM
Rookie

I'm not quite sure what DAC your Denon AVR used? If it's not so high quality, it may be true to leverage the great DAC (CS4398) of Xonar DX with 116dB SNR and very little level THD, which is only available in some very high-end AVR Amplifier.
Old November 4, 2008, 01:40 PM
Top Prospect

I don't know which DAC it uses, but the receiver itself is just an entry level unit if that makes any difference...
Old November 4, 2008, 03:10 PM
Top Prospect

Well, I ran to Walmart and picked some up some Philips 3.5mm to composite cables for $6 each so I'll see if that makes any difference when I get home tonight. I can't believe how much this cost, I was looking at BB and FS's websites and they are around $12ea there. Wow.
Old November 4, 2008, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just noticed this thread- it's almost the same question I asked on a thread I just posted but no conclusion yet- different receiver as well. Maybe you could let me know how you make out with the new cables.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; November 4, 2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old November 4, 2008, 03:51 PM
Top Prospect

After doing a little more reading this afternoon it makes sense why going with the analog outs would sound better. To get 5.1 or 7.1 over optical you need to compress the audio and it sounds like no compression is need via the individual analog cables so that there alone should have an improvement I'd figure.

But, I'm planning on watching Get Smart and Matrix tonight but I will report back.
Old November 4, 2008, 04:10 PM
Top Prospect

After reading J.S's reply earlier I did some more googling and this is one of the threads I read:

Best soundcard for my HTPC - AVS Forum