Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 26, 2008, 07:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Home Theatre Reciever + Subwoofer

Well with Christmas quickly approaching (already starting to feel like winter outside), I'm thinking that this year I'll get a new receiver and with that a subwoofer as well.

I currently have this Panasonic HTIB from probably 5 years ago now. The subwoofer that came with it is basically a speaker since its not power nor does it use a RCA-type cable. It just uses normal speaker wire. Suffice to say, it sucks ass. Absouletly horrible bass. We upgraded the center to some Polk Audio one a while ago but the rest of the speakers are what came with it. I'm thinking they'll be okay for another year or so since it'll be costly to do it all at once.

So, I'm looking for a 5.1 (or more, no biggie) reciever that has at least 2 HDMI ports that supports audio (not just pass-through). And since no reciever uses speaker wire to connect a subwoofer, I also need a "proper" sub. Preferably something with a small foot-print though it's not a huge deal I guess. I can find somewhere to put it.

Now my living room is rather small, roughly 15x12' I guess, so I don't need anything super crazy. Also not looking at spending a ton of money either, just something that's decent.

As a side note, I can get some pretty good deals on Sony stuff so I've been looking at their recievers and they recently released a whole new line-up which have what I need. I'll still stay open to other options but I'll probably sway towards Sony if its more affordable.

(Oh and I know I could take this to a real hardcore AV forum but I don't feel like getting raped )
Old October 26, 2008, 07:41 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I just built my HT this week-end with the 3rd rig in my sig; took me a while to decide on the receiver and finally decided on the Denon AVS-689 (Denon Canada | AVR-689) and the speakers are from Klipsch: Quintet III (Quintet III--- Bookshelf Home Theater Speaker, Home Theater System) and the sub is the RPW-10 (RPW-10 --- Klipsch Reference Series). 5.1 with a 10" sub is more than enough for the size of my room, being 14' x 15'.

The bookshelf speakers sound great, the bass is tight and 80W/channel is plenty.
Old October 26, 2008, 07:44 PM
Banned
F@H

Trying to finish up a review of Sony STR-DG820...seems just what you are looking for.

15x12 room I'd say 2x sub(one front, one rear), and 6 bookshelfs, with center(7.2 set-up).
Old October 26, 2008, 08:12 PM
Allstar

The Sony STR-DG820 or the Onkyo 606 are probably the best examples for you without breaking your wallet I mean.
@3.0 charlie, the specs on that receiver doesn't say it supports HDMI audio processing unless I am looking at the wrong model.
Old October 26, 2008, 08:18 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Nope, it does not. I used the optical cable between the Prelude and the receiver.
Old October 26, 2008, 11:45 PM

My System Specs

Onkyo TX-SR606 user here and I love it. 4 HDMI, support for all HD audio types, sound great, and not all that expensive.
Old October 27, 2008, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What do you think your budget is for the receiver?
Old October 27, 2008, 06:18 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I have a Pioneer VSX-9120 that I've had for just under a year now, It does 7.1, DTS-HD, Dobly trueHD, etc and has 2 HDMI Inputs (Not passthrough) for audio and Video. It is simply the best receiver I've ever seen/owned. Has been replaced by this model (9130):
Pioneer of Canada - English - Pioneer A V Receivers

Yes, it's a little pricey (mine was a little cheaper), but I could start a thread just for the features it has - well worth the money!
Old October 27, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Only thing to buy Sony is a tv.

For receivers buy Pioneer, Yamaha, or Onkyo the rest is crap.
Old October 27, 2008, 11:45 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Only thing to buy Sony is a tv.

For receivers buy Pioneer, Yamaha, or Onkyo the rest is crap.
I can think of a ton of other companies that make great receivers than just those.