Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2008, 10:02 AM
Banned
F@H

I actually have a duffle full of XLR cables...
Old November 29, 2008, 12:23 PM
Allstar

I have a bag full of various cables and a tackle box full of audio adapters. When recording or connecting up gear, you usually need a vast assortment of cables and connectors to get the job done.
Old December 6, 2008, 10:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So I got the Boston Acoustics CS Sub10. Now it's just the receiver.

I think my 2 choices are:
Home Theatre - Wireless - Receivers - Speakers - Home Theatre Components - Receivers - STRDG720 - Sony Style Canada
Yamaha Canada Music | Home Audio/Video

$250 and $300 respectively at Future Shop, +10% off on Monday night. However I'm going to G&G's TDSB sale tomorrow so if that Sony one is say $200, I think I'll probably just grab it. I think I can forgo HD-audio formats, both have LPCM anyways which should do fine if/when I get a Blu Ray player. However if I do grab that Sony and it ends up being garbage, then I'll return it and get the Yamaha (or something else around the $300 range).

Still, what's your guys' opinions on either of those? To me the Yamaha seems the better choice even though it lacks a HDMI port, I think Yamaha has better components (Burr-Browns, screw-in/banana speaker connectors).
Old December 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

yamaha.. sony is crap

My parents had a sony receiver they had to take back 3x and when I was working in a electronics repair shop i couldn't count the amount of sony repairs.
Old December 6, 2008, 11:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
yamaha.. sony is crap

My parents had a sony receiver they had to take back 3x and when I was working in a electronics repair shop i couldn't count the amount of sony repairs.
That bad eh?

From stuff I've been reading, most people don't have any issues with it. There was some problems with HDMI audio and some European cable/satellite box called Sky or something. Doesn't effect me anyways. One worrying thing I found was that one guy said the whole back panel was really loose and when plugging things in it would flex.

I haven't seen the Sony in person though so I guess that'll be one of my judgments. cadaveca has the STR-DG820 which he said was fine by his review, though that is a higher-end model.
Old December 7, 2008, 06:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i have had a sony and don't waste your time. get the yamaha it is a superior brand in every way.

Old December 7, 2008, 02:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well G&G didn't have the Sony on sale anyways.

I think though, since I'm buying from Future Shop now, that I'll try the Sony, if it sucks, return it and get the Yamaha. Might as well take advantage of Future Shop

EDIT: Nevermind. Sony isn't in stock at any local store so I guess it'll be the Yamaha. I'm not paying $20 to have it shipped, meaning I save a whole $5 ($245) and it ends up being like $275 with tax and the Yamaha is about $305. So for $30 I loose a HDMI port yet gain but high build quality and components. Sounds good to me.

EDIT 2: One more question...
Is it worth me getting some banana plugs? I'm redoing all my speaker wiring with 16AWG cable and Monoprice has banana plugs for $2.17/pair. And the Yamaha receiver does support banana plugs for all speakers it seems.

Last edited by JD; December 7, 2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old December 7, 2008, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

that depends. On the reciever side definitely as it makes it alot easier to hook them up for the speaker side it's kind of moot as it looks more professional and is easier to connect / disconnect how ever unless your going to solder you wires into the banana connectors there is no audible difference. For the record i use banana plugs for everything eventhough i don't solder my cables.

Old December 7, 2008, 07:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
that depends. On the reciever side definitely as it makes it alot easier to hook them up for the speaker side it's kind of moot as it looks more professional and is easier to connect / disconnect how ever unless your going to solder you wires into the banana connectors there is no audible difference. For the record i use banana plugs for everything eventhough i don't solder my cables.
Well my speakers don't support it so it would just be on the receiver side. And I don't think I'd be soldering them either.

I didn't think it would sound any different, just makes it easier to hook things up so for $10, might as well make my life a bit easier.
Old December 8, 2008, 05:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Got the Yamaha for $270 tonight. Last one at my Future Shop

Ordered all the cables I need too so hopefully I'll get it hooked up by the end of this week but it's probably going to be next week. Depends how fast the cables get here...