Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yea sub is not that important. I dont even use my Sub... Most important is getting a good amp and a good Center. Remeber you dont need to match your speakers either. A good amp will let you make fine adjustments if you have weaker speakers in the rear, or want more bass from your big old front towers (hehe)

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
yea sub is not that important. I dont even use my Sub... Most important is getting a good amp and a good Center. Remeber you dont need to match your speakers either. A good amp will let you make fine adjustments if you have weaker speakers in the rear, or want more bass from your big old front towers (hehe)
Problem is I have no "good" speakers. My center is alright I guess...It's some Polk Audio thing from, again, like 5 years ago. It was like $100 at the time. Has 2 mid-range drivers and a tweeter I believe.

The fronts and centers will just be from the Panasonic HTIB so no bass from those, thus the need for a subwoofer.

Personally I'd rather not buy total crap speakers just because of money and then just replace them next year or whatever. Might as well just start with something semi-decent and live with it. I'm pretty sure my parents would go for that as well.

I dropped emails to Kromer and Bay Bloor so I'll see what they have in the $200 price range (if anything).
Old November 27, 2008, 11:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Kromer said the have some Yamaha subs in the $200-250 range and a Paradigm at $280.

Going by the price of the Paradigm, I think it's this one: Paradigm : Models PDR-8 Which spec wise looks pretty nice, tad on the high side of pricing though.

The Yamaha guesses would be:
Yamaha Canada Music | Home Audio/Video

Which seem fairly decent too, last one I'm not too sure about though.

I emailed them back though to see if he can get me the model numbers. Bay Bloor on the other hand said they carry nothing in the $200 range which is disappointing. I guess they only are into the more high-end stuff.
Old November 27, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Paradigm is decent stuff :)

8" sub won't allow for as deep of bass response as a 10 or 12 but it'll still give you nice bass response.
Old November 27, 2008, 03:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Here are the official models:
Yamaha YSTFSW100
Yamaha YSTFSW011
Paradigm PDR8v.4

And the guy recommended me the Boston Acoustics CSSUB10 (didn't give me a price though) but in the US it goes for $200 (on sale in the US atm), regular price is $250. Seems reasonable but I bet it's $300+ up here with our crappy dollar. It's also new to Kromer as well.

I think I'll say those are my main choices, my dad said that we'll go down to Kromer next weekend so any comments/thoughts on any of those would be great

Last edited by JD; November 27, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old November 27, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Definitely go for the Boston Acoustics.
Old November 27, 2008, 05:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Definitely go for the Boston Acoustics.
Just because its 10"? Or are there other factors?
Old November 27, 2008, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Just because its 10"? Or are there other factors?
The one yamaha is too thin in my opinion and I can't see it producing good enough response for bass tones.

The other yamaha is ported to fire out the front which can deceive the listener in thinking its louder than it is.

The Paradigm is a nice one too and it would have come down to it and the Boston but I like the look and the down firing of the Boston which is why I recommend it.
Old November 27, 2008, 05:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
The one yamaha is too thin in my opinion and I can't see it producing good enough response for bass tones.

The other yamaha is ported to fire out the front which can deceive the listener in thinking its louder than it is.

The Paradigm is a nice one too and it would have come down to it and the Boston but I like the look and the down firing of the Boston which is why I recommend it.
Sounds good. I agree about the thin Yamaha one too, no way I can see how that's going to produce "proper" bass.

Now I'm going to be putting it in a corner so I'm thinking down-firing is the best since it won't really be angled towards my listening position I don't think. I could make it angled but then I loose even more floor space and well in a small house wasting floor space isn't really an option.

However I'm pretty sure it's the most expensive one too Oh well, might as well do it right the first time? (not totally though but close enough)
Old November 27, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My sub is in a corner and it front fires and even turned down on the amp its still extremely deep.