Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2008, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
I have no experience with marantz, going to have to check them out!
Marantz is up there with high end brands like McIntosh and NAD.

Any audio you buy in a store like Future or Best Buy imho is junk because its so mass produced that quality suffers.
Old November 25, 2008, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Marantz is up there with high end brands like McIntosh and NAD.

Any audio you buy in a store like Future or Best Buy imho is junk because its so mass produced that quality suffers.
Yes Marantz is up there also Denon is fairly decent but the SR5003 is a real steal.

3x hdmi 1
upmix any signal and output through HDMI
Burrbrown 192khz/24bit dacs on each channel

all for 898+tax and considering the denon is exactly the same price the choice was a no brainer.

Old November 25, 2008, 07:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

lol...uhhh guys I'm trying to keep this in like the $500 range

Definitely not dropping $900 on a receiver and I'm not looking at audiophile grade speakers either. I wish I could but I just can't be spending that kind of money (not mine, my parents).

My dad seems more inclined to get a receiver that supports the HD audio formats but I'm thinking that's going to get rather expensive but I'm mainly relying on upcoming sales/Boxing Day to grab things so it could be feasible.

As it stands, a subwoofer and reciever seems to be the way he wants to go for now. Maybe next year we'll replace the other speakers. All I really need is something that's decent (aka better than HTIB crap). As I said, $500 would be perfect but it seems a tad unreasonable so just try and keep your suggestions near the $500 mark (for both things).

So just to make things clear:
Reciever - HD formats, 3+ HDMI (preferably)
Subwoofer - cheapest possible

As for buying used, I don't know how well that'd go over. My dad would rather see and hear things in person even if the acoustics are different. Also I'm guessing shipping would probably outweigh the savings in used stuff since subwoofers are by no means light and small.

I do appreciate all your advice though (even if it's out of my price range). Given me lots to dream of
Old November 25, 2008, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
lol...uhhh guys I'm trying to keep this in like the $500 range

Definitely not dropping $900 on a receiver and I'm not looking at audiophile grade speakers either. I wish I could but I just can't be spending that kind of money (not mine, my parents).

My dad seems more inclined to get a receiver that supports the HD audio formats but I'm thinking that's going to get rather expensive but I'm mainly relying on upcoming sales/Boxing Day to grab things so it could be feasible.

As it stands, a subwoofer and reciever seems to be the way he wants to go for now. Maybe next year we'll replace the other speakers. All I really need is something that's decent (aka better than HTIB crap). As I said, $500 would be perfect but it seems a tad unreasonable so just try and keep your suggestions near the $500 mark (for both things).

So just to make things clear:
Reciever - HD formats, 3+ HDMI (preferably)
Subwoofer - cheapest possible

As for buying used, I don't know how well that'd go over. My dad would rather see and hear things in person even if the acoustics are different. Also I'm guessing shipping would probably outweigh the savings in used stuff since subwoofers are by no means light and small.

I do appreciate all your advice though (even if it's out of my price range). Given me lots to dream of
Not going to happen for $500.

Even a decent 8" sub is going to cost you a minimum of $200 and a decent receiver is going to be a minimum of $300 or more.

This is why HTIB exists but are crap.
Old November 25, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:

Even a decent 8" sub is going to cost you a minimum of $200 and a decent receiver is going to be a minimum of $300 or more.

I'd agree. it its going to be very difficult to achieve this for $500 bucks and still sound decent. As for speakers FS has a set of polks on sale right now for 249. you will probably not do better than that for speakers.

Old November 26, 2008, 06:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Well under $1K at least. Maybe like $700 tops?

I'm willing to cut back on the receiver though since I don't really foresee using HD audio formats and well 3+ HDMI is a bonus but I could do with 2 just that I wouldn't have any room for expansion.

I refuse to buy another HTIB though since they lack nearly all inputs. At least my current HTIB came with basically a full-featured receiver at the time, not one of those tiny things with a DVD player built in. However I find that it lacks any sort of directional audio and the majority of sound just comes out of the center. It's very rare that the fronts/surrounds are heard.

Like I said, I'm not being overly picky here since any new receiver and subwoofer is going to make a huge difference IMO. And I'm going to do my best to not buy anything that isn't on sale.

I guess to get a "decent" subwoofer I'm going to have to go to a speaker store of sorts. Only ones I know of in Toronto are Kromer Radio and Bay Bloor Radio. Never been to either before so I have no idea what pricing they have or if they would even carry $200ish subs.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

if your going to bump your budget up to $700.

I would seriously take a second look at that denon kit i linked. It's only 648 (so it's $52 under your new budget) you get a denon reciever and a full set. The speakers are fairly decent as they are boston acoustics. I really don't think your going to do any worse. Alternatively if you get those polks on FS stie at 249. it includes 4 sattelites, 1 centre and a sub for 249 so then you have around 450 bucks for a reciever based on your $700 budget and 251 on your $500 budget.

Old November 26, 2008, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Well under $1K at least. Maybe like $700 tops?

I'm willing to cut back on the receiver though since I don't really foresee using HD audio formats and well 3+ HDMI is a bonus but I could do with 2 just that I wouldn't have any room for expansion.

I refuse to buy another HTIB though since they lack nearly all inputs. At least my current HTIB came with basically a full-featured receiver at the time, not one of those tiny things with a DVD player built in. However I find that it lacks any sort of directional audio and the majority of sound just comes out of the center. It's very rare that the fronts/surrounds are heard.

Like I said, I'm not being overly picky here since any new receiver and subwoofer is going to make a huge difference IMO. And I'm going to do my best to not buy anything that isn't on sale.

I guess to get a "decent" subwoofer I'm going to have to go to a speaker store of sorts. Only ones I know of in Toronto are Kromer Radio and Bay Bloor Radio. Never been to either before so I have no idea what pricing they have or if they would even carry $200ish subs.
Don't skimp on the receiver its the heart of ANY system.

Its easier to replace speakers or buy cheaper speakers for a temporary solution but a receiver is not as easy to replace and costs a lot more.

So spend more on the receiver and spend less on the speakers for now.
Old November 26, 2008, 03:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
if your going to bump your budget up to $700.

I would seriously take a second look at that denon kit i linked. It's only 648 (so it's $52 under your new budget) you get a denon reciever and a full set. The speakers are fairly decent as they are boston acoustics. I really don't think your going to do any worse. Alternatively if you get those polks on FS stie at 249. it includes 4 sattelites, 1 centre and a sub for 249 so then you have around 450 bucks for a reciever based on your $700 budget and 251 on your $500 budget.
It is looking all the more appealing but if I take enaberif's advice...
Quote:
Don't skimp on the receiver its the heart of ANY system.
Then I wouldn't want that package since the Denon receiver doesn't have everything that I'd want to have.

And I do agree with you enaberif, but I think the problem is going to be finding a cheap subwoofer. I guess I could try emailing Kromer and Bay Bloor Radio and ask if they have any subs in the $200 price range...
Old November 26, 2008, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Remember that starting out you could do without a sub for awhile and just get some inexpensive speakers to tide you over.

Also don't forget about buying used for some stuff. Lots of people have great deals on used speakers and subs just because they have upgraded their system and or outgrown their needs.