Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2008, 10:48 AM
Banned
F@H

Sony USED to make top-notch audio stuff...not since the STRDB930 though...that was the last good one from Sony...cost me a pretty penny too...

SPDIF is Sony/Phillips Digital InterFace...so they are at the forefront when it comes to this stuff...but that was ages ago.
Old October 27, 2008, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I can think of a ton of other companies that make great receivers than just those.
I was talking big box stores.. sorry should have been a bit more clear.
Old October 27, 2008, 12:24 PM
Banned
F@H

LoL. BigBOx..you mean FS and BB? there are far more other stores for audio than just those...I can find easy NAD, Sunfire, Prism, etc, all within 30 mins drive...so should most others in major metropolitan areas...
Old October 27, 2008, 02:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I was looking at the STRDG720 and 820, both would do what I want it seems. Of course, the 720 is more affordable...

I was looking at the Denon AVR-589 and AVR-689 and the Yamaha HTR-6140B as well. All in the same price range. I think they all support HDMI audio but it's so hard getting that information.

Budget wise, cheaper the better. Not going to be my final decision though, more like my parents, but we normally get one home-electronic purchase each Christmas.

Just wondering though, are actual audio stores going to be any cheaper compared to BB/FS? The place where I can get the sales on Sony stuff (G&G Electronics) has a decent selection of speakers but it's mainly Polk Audio and I don't really know how their pricing is on it.

Kind of looking for a subwoofer closer to the $200 price point (that Klipsch one is like $400).
Old October 27, 2008, 02:14 PM
Banned
F@H

Well, I will be offloading my own STRDG820 shortly...bought it a little while ago on sale for $300 from FS on a oneday sale. I'll be posting the review soon too...need to snap some more pics.

IN regards to speakers, I always suggest people do not get a speaker with a port facing towards the listener. Such speakers are using the port to fill out hte speakers sound, but bass is much better when re-directed off of a wall...other than that, the more you spend, generally, the better the speaker. So get the best you can within your budget...because I cannot make any recommendations without a budget!

In regards to subs, check FS in person ask see if they have any Athena products still in stock(not listed on site any more), the sub should be very decently priced(P4100), and works a treat...I use two of them myself.
Old October 27, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have a soundstage 10" sub and its MORE than enough to fill the room in my basement suite. I have to turn down the bass otherwise dishes would be rattling.

Also you don't necessarily need tall speakers for the front if you have a decent sub. If you are a budget you can use bookshelf speakers just make sure they have at least a 6" woofer for the best option.
Old October 27, 2008, 06:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Well, I will be offloading my own STRDG820 shortly...bought it a little while ago on sale for $300 from FS on a oneday sale. I'll be posting the review soon too...need to snap some more pics.

IN regards to speakers, I always suggest people do not get a speaker with a port facing towards the listener. Such speakers are using the port to fill out hte speakers sound, but bass is much better when re-directed off of a wall...other than that, the more you spend, generally, the better the speaker. So get the best you can within your budget...because I cannot make any recommendations without a budget!

In regards to subs, check FS in person ask see if they have any Athena products still in stock(not listed on site any more), the sub should be very decently priced(P4100), and works a treat...I use two of them myself.
I saw that sale on the receiver and was rather tempted. As per speaker budget, like I said, only really looking at getting a subwoofer right now unless there's a decent 5.1 package deal that's affordable.

For example: Future Shop: Audio: Home Speakers: Harman Kardon 5.1 Home Theatre Speaker System (HKTS11) - Silver - Web Only OR Future Shop: Audio: Home Speakers: Polk Audio Home Theatre Speaker System (RM10FS) - Web Only
Both are basically the same price as a subwoofer alone, albeit they wouldn't sound as good as a custom system but I'm sure it would be better than what I have seeing as I have no intentions of replacing any of the current speakers (this year at least), unless there's a decent bundle package.

I don't have exact dollar amounts for a budget just something that will offer decent performance at an affordable price. I'm all about performance:cost ratio.

TBH, probably even a modern day HTIB would sound better than what I have. My system now has horrible bass and there's nearly no direction either. Majority of sound just comes out of the center. My Klipsch ProMedia Ultras and Logitech Z5500s have better sound (especially the bass) than the TV setup. Only thing is I don't want a HTIB since those "recievers" are so utterly limited with functionality its stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I have a soundstage 10" sub and its MORE than enough to fill the room in my basement suite. I have to turn down the bass otherwise dishes would be rattling.

Also you don't necessarily need tall speakers for the front if you have a decent sub. If you are a budget you can use bookshelf speakers just make sure they have at least a 6" woofer for the best option.
IMO that's going a bit too overboard for what I'm really looking for...
Old October 27, 2008, 06:31 PM
Banned
F@H

well, liek I said, check out FS for athena stuff...they should be priced @ 50% of retail due to it being discontinued...but the audition series won many awards when pitted up against much more expensive speakers...too bad Athena got bought!
Old October 28, 2008, 08:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thoughts on any of these subs?

Precision Acoustics 10" Powered Subwoofer (HD S10)
Yamaha Flat Subwoofer
JBL Balboa Powered Subwoofer (Sub10)
Polk 8" Subwoofer (PSW303)
Old October 28, 2008, 08:35 AM
Banned
F@H

I wouldn't consider ANYTHING but the polk.