Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2008, 06:37 PM
Allstar

Very simple. You pull the card replace the opamp, reinstall the card and enjoy better sound.
Nothing will change as far as levels are concerned as the opamps output levels are set by the surrounding circuits which don't change.

I have tested the OPA627AU, very nice sounding chip. The OPA627,637 are still considered some of the best audio opamps avaialable.
Old October 24, 2008, 06:37 PM
Banned
F@H

I hate to do this, but there's no reason for me to explain when it's done well here:

Operational amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old October 24, 2008, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks, good to know. Someday, I'll be able to listen and tell what brand of caps a sound card is using, kind of like those people who can taste what year a wine was bottled. But for now, baby-steps.
Old October 26, 2008, 03:46 PM
Allstar

@MpG, are you still considering the 627AU? If your interetsed in this chip for headphone use, I think you will be very happy with it. To note, many prefer the 637 over the 627 -myself included as the 637's have more of a high end extension and air... Great also for cans, you may want to go with this...
Old October 27, 2008, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
@MpG, are you still considering the 627AU? If your interetsed in this chip for headphone use, I think you will be very happy with it. To note, many prefer the 637 over the 627 -myself included as the 637's have more of a high end extension and air... Great also for cans, you may want to go with this...
That's one of the things I still haven't decided for certain. My 350's are great, but they're gaming phones and already have a slight bias towards the higher frequencies. The 627AU is described as having the most effect towards the lower end, whereas the 637 seems to be more concerned with the higher end. My thinking is that it might be better to try and compensate for the phones' "weaker" area. Or am I off the mark?
Old October 30, 2008, 11:59 AM
Top Prospect

I have the Xonar DX7 will the OPA627 AU work on it?

Also, I'm thinking replacing the coupling caps (reference: head-fi.org/forums/f6/asus-xonar-dx-mods-339127) but don't know exactly which ones I need. I have a friend that does soldering for a living so I would like to get all the parts together and ready before I hand it over to his capable hands. :)

Thanks for any help.
Old October 30, 2008, 12:17 PM
Allstar

Xonar DX 7.1? The opamps on that card are surface mount and not meant to me change. You can change them but it takes some more work and a carful hand.
As for the coupling caps, usually you use higher grade ones that match the same spcifications. such as Voltage ratings and what value they are. Capacitors are filters so using better capacitors gives you better
filtering through the card. Hope this helps.
Old October 30, 2008, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Voltage rating on caps is meant as a maximum, as long as what you're replacing with the existing with you're golden. Often caps are used between stages for decoupling (i.e. blocking DC) so the quality of those caps are critical. Last I heard polypropylene and polycarbonate were the best but can get stupid expensive in larger capacitances, which might explain why they aren't used by manufacturers. Second most common place they are used are used are in feed back networks to set high and low response rolloffs, not as critical but can probably still benefit from the higher quality caps. Last place I'd look to replace caps are the filtering caps. Electrolytics are meant as bulk storage really and aren't high performance at higher frequencies, they are usually backed up by (possibly many) 0.1uF ceramics. AFAIK tantalum offer better performance than the ceramics but again can be expensive and are physically large for their capacity rating. I think they are also hard to find in higher voltage ratings.

Anyone feel free to correct me if you see an error in what I said.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old October 31, 2008, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect

That's great info, thanks!

This is what he used in the other thread (22uF 25V Nichicon Muse ES bypassed with 0.22uF) but I can't find anything like that on ebay. This electronics talk is greek to me. lol What can I search for on ebay or what can I write down and take to the local electronics store and get an equivalent?
Old October 31, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

A quick search turned up these.

Being 50V they are most likely physically larger so make sure they will fit... if you don't find exactly what you're looking for that is. Though I'm sure there are a few different series of caps that you can use that would give just as good performance at least within a threshhold of any difference you could hear. Digikey.ca is a great place to get parts.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water