Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2008, 09:06 AM
Allstar

All HDMI audio features will be offered from this card in both LPCM and Bit-streaming modes.
Old November 17, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This card has been postponed until January :-(
They state other reasons but might the partners backing away form it? Sales of high-end and somewhat peripheral components like this would be the first to take a hit in hard financial times.
Auzentech, Inc. Sound Cards. Audio You Can Believe In. World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.
Old November 29, 2008, 02:17 PM
Allstar

No, they have to wait now until Cyberlink is done with the supporting software. Auzentech can't really account for delays imposed by the project partners. Based on all the informaiton I have everything is looking great just a delay until the software players is finished.
Old November 29, 2008, 05:13 PM
Allstar

I have no problems with that, just gives me more time to save money :)

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 23, 2009, 01:40 PM
Trial Member

Default The Simplest Is Often...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
Well that will reamin to be seen. The card isn't really meant to be used inthat manner BUT that is not to say it won't work as you outlined. You will just have to wait and see what people have to say. I will see if I can find out for you before hand though. I will keep you posted...
Robscix,

I'm hoping the connectivity is as simple as it looks.

My plan is to connect one HDMI > HDMI cable (from the sound card) to my processor/receiver for audio and another, shorter HDMI > HDMI cable (from the graphics card) to my plasma.

Not only is this simple (the simplest?) but also cuts down on any possible degradation that may occur from long cable runs, or having another unecessary graphics controller in the mix.

Do you, or any of you other guys see a problem doing things this way?

And before you answer, please don't bring up the You-Won't-Have-Any-Degradation-Via-HDMI-As-The-Source-Is-Digital argument as I do appreciate that. We are still dealing with analogue signals after all.

Thanks in advance.

Elst.
Old January 25, 2009, 05:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elston View Post
Robscix,

I'm hoping the connectivity is as simple as it looks.

My plan is to connect one HDMI > HDMI cable (from the sound card) to my processor/receiver for audio and another, shorter HDMI > HDMI cable (from the graphics card) to my plasma.

Not only is this simple (the simplest?) but also cuts down on any possible degradation that may occur from long cable runs, or having another unecessary graphics controller in the mix.

Do you, or any of you other guys see a problem doing things this way?

And before you answer, please don't bring up the You-Won't-Have-Any-Degradation-Via-HDMI-As-The-Source-Is-Digital argument as I do appreciate that. We are still dealing with analogue signals after all.

Thanks in advance.

Elst.
The card is supposed to upgrade your video output from your graphics card to HDMI 1.3a. Just running digital audio from the sound card and one from the graphics card is excessive. You might as well use the on-board SPDIF out (if your mainboard has it).

How far apart are your tv and receiver? If you are talking 20' plus (i.e. you have an equipment rack in one wall and the tv is mount on another wall) and noise degradation concerns you, esp. in the HDMI cable, I'd recommend a SPDIF to TOSLink adapter and use an optical cable to feed the receiver, and an HDMI repeater close to the tv. Optical cables aren't affected by EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interferance), as its light, obviously. The repeater cleans up any noise it receives and amplifies the output information.

That's overkill, however. Good HDMI cables have plenty of shielding to significantly cut down on any noise it may pass through (hopefully your HTPC would have its cover on), under lengths of 50'.

HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HDMI is an all or nothing technology. Either you get a great signal or no image, as it Is a digital signal (aka DC-offset square wave). Square waves are nice as you can insert a fair amount of noise into it and the receiving equipment can still read it (within reason).

Last edited by blueeyesm; January 25, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old January 30, 2009, 12:22 PM
Rookie

Hello good people :).

I'm going to buy an Auzen X-Fi HT HD when it's out, and there's one thing that I can't find an answer for... At the Auzentech's site it is stated that the card will be able to output audio and video simultaneously through the HDMI, and that the video can be connected to the audio card internally or externally. I see on the pictures that there's something like the SLI connector on the upper left corner of the sound card, is this the port for internal HDMI connection with the video card and will it be compatible with ATI and nVidia video cards?
Old January 30, 2009, 12:45 PM
Allstar

That connector will be for the Nvidia compatible cards -whichever ones those are. I am unsure if they are out now or will be relased in the future for supporting the HTHD. The ATI cards will have to use the external connector.

To clarify, Nvidia based are the only cards that can use the internal connector.
Old January 31, 2009, 05:50 AM
Rookie

It will be very strange to release the HT HD with no internal connection compatibility for all nVidia graphic cards that support HDMI. Most, if not all, of the GeForce cards doesn't have external HDMI output connectors, and that'll make necessary to find and use a DVI-to-HDMI converters, which doesn't come along with most of the cards (at least there are no such converters with Asus or Gigabyte cards). I think if that's a SLI connector on the HT HD it will be compatible with all the GeForce's supporting HDMI, ot at least it should be.
Old January 31, 2009, 08:16 AM
Allstar

Don't even worry about the GFX cards that support HDMI, there HDMI capability wouldn't be used in this system. Also most of the GFX cards that I have seen that sam they support HDMI so not support the full rnage of audio formats avialable such as DD+,Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HDMA..etc
The HTHD handles all of the audio and integration of the video.
You would get a cable with the card,DVI-HDMI that connects your GFX card to the the HTHD then another cable that connects the HTHD to a receiver.
This is one possible setup and the one most would use for integration into a Home theater.

To make is easier, DVI and HDMI are related, DVI and HDMI are interchangable to a point. Except DVI is video only and HDMI is video and audio.