Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2008, 04:12 PM
Allstar

I am actually unsure of that one. It would depend on if the card would allow for non-downsampled analog output.
This is really no the way the card was meant to be used but that is not to say it will not perform the task. I just cannot verify if it will or will not. I will see what I can find out though.
Old November 7, 2008, 04:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post
Please excuse the n00b question, but will the card allow me to plug the HDMI in from a stand-alone BluRay player and use the card as an audio decoder? I have a bit of a borg system and watch HD on my computer monitor (but all the software HD players seem to have problems).

Would the card support that?

-HK sends
Current Prelude owner
the card sends out audio .. does not decode so you can not plugin a standalone player. the card is for the HTPC market i.e computer homecinema
Old November 7, 2008, 04:23 PM
Allstar

Actually Nam, this cannot be verified either way. The card has a HDMI input, now I am unsure if it will just accept DVI/HDMI or will accept full HDMI. The card/sofwtare ill decode as it does this for LPCM and send the decoded audio through the HDMI cable to the Receiver. However if this card would accept audio/video and decode and allow the video to play on a PC screen and allow the decoded audio to be produced through analog is another matter..
Old November 7, 2008, 04:37 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies!

I was wanting to run the HDMI from my stand-alone player into the card and play the audio over my computer speakers (Logitech Z-5500). I got the player real cheap through a promotional at Amazon but I really can't afford a stand-alone receiver or home theater system. I figured with the HDMI in, the card just might do the trick, but I didn't want to replace my Prelude if it can't work that way.

-HK sends

Edit: Please let me clarify. I have a 30" Gateway monitor with a separate HDMI input. I would not need to play the video from the computer, just the audio. I would run HDMI from the player to the audio card and back out to the monitor. I can switch between the DVI output of the computer and the HDMI output of the player on the monitor itself.

Last edited by HK_sends; November 7, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old November 7, 2008, 04:40 PM
Allstar

Well that will reamin to be seen. The card isn't really meant to be used inthat manner BUT that is not to say it won't work as you outlined. You will just have to wait and see what people have to say. I will see if I can find out for you before hand though. I will keep you posted...
Old November 7, 2008, 04:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
Well that will reamin to be seen. The card isn't really meant to be used inthat manner BUT that is not to say it won't work as you outlined. You will just have to wait and see what people have to say. I will see if I can find out for you before hand though. I will keep you posted...
Thanks! I appreciate the trouble.

-HK sends
Old November 7, 2008, 05:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Actually Nam, this cannot be verified either way. The card has a HDMI input, now I am unsure if it will just accept DVI/HDMI or will accept full HDMI. The card/sofwtare ill decode as it does this for LPCM and send the decoded audio through the HDMI cable to the Receiver. However if this card would accept audio/video and decode and allow the video to play on a PC screen and allow the decoded audio to be produced through analog is another matter..

another + to the card if the card does this (with no decoders on board) the card will send out LPCM to amp also if that is the case the onboard scaller would need tobe bypassed as the standalone player will be using the scaller onboard..

we could do with the card out before posting on here and real info as it is turning into a Speculation post
Old November 8, 2008, 12:27 PM
Rookie

Auzen X-Fi™ HomeTheater HD Soundcard Rescheduled for January 2009

Auzentech, Inc. Sound Cards. Audio You Can Believe In. World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.
Old November 11, 2008, 07:29 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam View Post
another + to the card if the card does this (with no decoders on board) the card will send out LPCM to amp also if that is the case the onboard scaller would need tobe bypassed as the standalone player will be using the scaller onboard..

we could do with the card out before posting on here and real info as it is turning into a Speculation post
Part of the release of a new soundcard or other device, is questions and speculation as to what it can and will do. As long as the ideas are to far out of hand they are well within the realm of possible task the card may be asked to do by users.
Old November 11, 2008, 08:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Part of the release of a new soundcard or other device, is questions and speculation as to what it can and will do. As long as the ideas are to far out of hand they are well within the realm of possible task the card may be asked to do by users.

will TRUEHD/dtsam be sent LPCM to the amp ??