Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2008, 04:07 AM
Rookie

Default What's better? Extra speakers or extra soundcard?

Hi,
I would like to connect my Lenovo M55e desktop to a home cinema system. Whenever I connect my pc (WinXP Pro (SP3)) to the home cinema system, I loose my internal audio, which a common hardware feature.
I looked for a solution, and was offered the following two options:
1. Add an extra sound card, preferrably and external USB card. Connect the home cinema system to the external card and keep both outlets active.
2. Plugin a splitter, connect one extension to a set of loudspeakers and the other, to the home cinema system.

Which option (or any other method) will produce sound of better quality and volume?
If the first is better, could you suggest a card, if possible costing 50$ or less.

Ran
Old October 11, 2008, 06:29 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I just did this for my step bro. Get one of these:

NCIX.com - Buy Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB 5.1 Channel Sound Card for Notebooks W/ Digital Out - TBS-1120 In Canada.

The digital out will pass through your audio to your reciever. Surround 5.1 too.
Old October 11, 2008, 09:16 AM
Rookie

Default Thanks

Squeetard, thanks. Looks like exactly what I was looking for.

Ran
Old October 11, 2008, 09:22 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

NP. My step bro had to fiddle with the settings with the usb dongle and VLC media player but he now has 5.1 spdif to his Denon receiver.
Old October 11, 2008, 10:14 AM
Rookie

Default Fiddle??

Was it a complicated task, or is there clear documentation and a straightforward task?
Old October 11, 2008, 11:30 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

If you have trouble with it I'll call my step bro for you. Wasn't too much hassle, just had to find where you enable the 'spdif pass through'.
Old October 11, 2008, 04:44 PM
Allstar

A PC can support more then one soundcard. Your PC would have a onboard, you can add another PCI card or you can go with a USB solution as you suggested. There is really nothing to it.
they are both installed drivers loaded. You can set which card is default for games etc -in the XP audio control panel. This setting will give you the ability to select which soundcard you want audio to goto by default for games etc. Most music and video players have their own configuration, so you can set your music, video audio tocom from your Home theater and Gaming audio to come from the PC speakers...etc.
I have used up to 3 soundcards at one time and have had freinds how have run 4 or more soundcards.... -Before you ask why; consider I/O for recording...
Old January 7, 2009, 12:18 PM
Rookie

Default Please help in configuration task

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
NP. My step bro had to fiddle with the settings with the usb dongle and VLC media player but he now has 5.1 spdif to his Denon receiver.
Hi Squeetard,
Took me some time to get the TurtleBeach USB soundcard (It's not sold outside the US and I asked a friend in Boston to buy it for me and send it to Israel).
I plugged in the card, had a wonderful audio on my headphones, BUT, lost my system audio.
Looks like the help of your brother is needed. So, please ask him and let me know.
Thanks.

Ran