Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2008, 09:26 PM
MVP

Default Anyone have a Zune?

I was in the Penticton walmart a couple of weeks ago and I saw they were selling the new generation of Zunes. I was floored by the prices they are selling the 120 gig for 199. I am not an expert on mp3 players by any means but after playing with it at my local futureshop it seems like a really nice ipod alternative, and the affordability is a huge factor. I just would love to hear the good and bads from some people that actually own them. One of the main things I am wondering is if it would be drag and drop simple for transfering and playing movies.
Old October 4, 2008, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Unfortunately no.

Zune and iPod require their own special software.

But in all honesty the Zune is a MUCH more better player than the iPod in my opinion.
Old October 5, 2008, 05:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I got a Zune 80 on Canada's release day after 5 years of using the iPod. Really, both of the players do their job. As enaberif said, you will be required to use their own special software, so you cannot simply drag and drop. Compared with an iPod Classic 160GB, I found that the Zune did better at everything over the iPod. The only thing that I didnt like is the lack of an EQ, but the stock sound is awesome, so really, I shouldn't complain on this point.

Zune has a larger screen, so naturally, its better at watching movies and pictures than the iPod. But still, its painful watching a movie on a screen that small.

Zune software's interface is awesome, miles more attractive and interactive than iTunes, but IMO, iTunes was better at organizing music at a much larger scale, of course you will get used to whichever program you use.

The quality of the stock earphones of the Zune is better than the iPod, and looks durable (It is an IEM). It sounds all that great IMO, but sounds much better than the iPod stock headphones.

Zune has a radio, its just perfect! Only FM, wish it had AM, but at least it has a radio, im not complaining.

The fact that Zune 3.0 was merely a firmware update just made me love Zune alot more, I was really glad that all the old zune owners didnt get left in the dust, I got all the features of the new Zune, how fantastic is that!? iPod will have this feature eventually, but great job on Zune for adding this. Hopefully Zune 4.0 also is a firmware update

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old October 5, 2008, 06:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I have the Zune 2 8GB which I got way before they ever came to Canada via eBay.

Overall it's been a great player, non-DRM audio is easy to get on it along with any podcasts you'd like. Videos you most likely will need to convert to WMV or MPEG4. I've found WMV works the best but I don't really put any videos on mine since the screen is way too small.

Thing I like about Zune is all the software upgrades are free and the games/applications are mainly user made and thus free as well. Unlike my brother who has the iPod Touch and has to pay for a bunch of things.

Has a solid feel to it too so you don't feel like your going to break it.
Old October 5, 2008, 11:11 AM
MVP

Hmmmm for a while now I have wanted a Cowon Q5W but the cost has just made it impossible. A 3rd of the memory and its 519. I know its feature set is a little more robust AND it has a 5 inch touchscreen. The thing that really makes it a winner though is its drag and drop simplicity for music and video. But yeah 200 bucks VS 520 is just bad.... As an Q5w alternative it seems like the zune might be good not just as an Ipod alternative.