Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2008, 09:44 PM
Top Prospect

Default Auzentek Prelude?

I really want to pick up a par of Tritton AX 360's as my saitek POS headphones broke.
I would like to take advantage of the optical quality, so I am considering picking up the prelude as it seems like a great card (140 at ncix right now after rebate). I do however have some concerns as I am running vista 64 bit, and i have heard some mixed things about sound cards being useless with the removal of the HAL or something, but something else about alchemy being able to work around it.
ALL help and better suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PS. I am currently in my first year for my B.Sc. in engineering so i do not get to work much and make much money, so value is a factor. Also, if something better will be coming around soon, and it would be much better to wait a while, I am fine with that too.
Old October 2, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have Vista 64 bit, and I installed my prelude on monday. Result : No problem!

1 - cleaned all my audio drivers and rebooted
2 - installed the new auzentech drivers
3 - I had select the mic in the control panel (It's not the mic on default setting)

Done!

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old October 3, 2008, 07:48 AM
Allstar

The driver issuse have been sorted out for Vista X64.
WHat you may want to consider though is the PRelude will definatley have higher quality DAC's then what is present in the decoder of those headphones. -So using optical to those headphones would actually be a downgrade from straight analog.
People have been finding this even with A/V receivers and the Prelude. The DAC's are high quality.....
Not to mention the PRelude has one of the best heapdhones routines for gaming avialable that provides virtual surround sound.
Hope this helps.
Old October 4, 2008, 11:02 AM
Top Prospect

So would it be better to just get a nice pair of regular headphones and simulate surround?
And if so what would you recommend?
Old October 4, 2008, 11:10 AM
Allstar

I have been using the HD595's as my review reference headphones and they sound quite nice. However there are many great sets of headphones. Grado's, Sennheiser, Audio-technica..etc.
I suggest you do some research. ALso remember that is you get high end headphones many of them are high impedacne and therefor will require a seperate headphone amplifier. Use 150 ohm as the guilde line:
Any set under 150 is ok just connected to the card and set over 150 will need a headphone amplifier....for use with this card. That is a general guideline and you can get a amp for the sale of haveing more power..etc
when your looing up headphones look under: Impedance. Good Luck.
Old October 4, 2008, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Rob,

Do you think an amp would be required with a pair of PC350 from Sens?

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old October 4, 2008, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good to know. Thanks for the info Rob.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old October 4, 2008, 02:51 PM
Top Prospect

yeah, I'd really rather not have to use an amp I'm really not that much of an audiophile. All i really need is something that's comfortable with a good mic, maybe good bass for that extra immersion. I also dont have hundreds of dollars to blow on a headset.
Old October 4, 2008, 03:37 PM
Allstar

You can go with a set that has been designed for "gaming" -with a mic attached or a set that has been built for "music" woth the mic and you can always get a desktop microphone.. The Grado SR80's are about $80-$90 and they are considered very good headphones for the price. Just look around at some local shops or online stores and see what you can find in your price range.
Old October 5, 2008, 12:41 PM
Top Prospect

I'm just not sure if it would be better to get headphones with 5.1 or regular.