Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2008, 12:55 PM
Rookie

Question Sound Card for gaming

Hello all.
As I'm new to this website, I'm not too new to computers. I've been building them a long time. However, to save money, I've usually always skimped on the sound card and just used the onboard audio.
I'm not overly happy with my onboard audio as my mother board is old and outdated, but I can't exactly go out at this time and build a new rig. Therefore, I'm thinking to try a new sound card.
I'm looking for a card to fit in the below.

Specs: AMD64x2 4200+, MSI Neo2 Mobo, 2Gb DDR3200, XP SP3, ATI 3850(AGP)

I only have PCI slots as this is an older mobo. I really use this computer for gaming. I mostly play BF2142 and LotRO.
I have tried a Creative Fatality Series card last Christmas only to get terrible crackling and popping - so I sold it.
I don't really want to spend over $80 or so, and I see many compliments to Xonar's, Preludes, as well as a few others I've never heard of.
If this was about a video card, I'd be all over it as I'm very informed on the vid cards and procs these days... but audio I think is really over looked, and even I am at a loss.
I'd easily say this card will be used for 75%+ gaming, 20% music, and 5% watching an occasional DVD.
Thanks for any :help:!
Old September 24, 2008, 04:30 PM
Allstar

The best current gaming cards are ones that feature the X-fi chipset. With the Auzen Prelude being the top dog of the bunch.

With your budget though your pretty limited to what you can buy. You can buy a older X-Music but again you may have trouble with Crackling.
You could also try a Xonar DX but they use a kind of emulation for gaming effects.
Old September 25, 2008, 06:43 AM
Rookie

[quote=Robscix;92464]The best current gaming cards are ones that feature the X-fi chipset. quote]

I thought that originally too, but I had an expensive one - the fatality series that had the 5.25 I/O, and I got a lot of crackling. I've heard it may be because it's not compatible with the NVidia chipset on my mobo. Have you heard of that, or do you think that's a possibility? It was almost a year ago when I had it, so maybe they've come up with some drivers to fix that issue?
If I knew I could get rid of the crackling, I'd be willing to spend about $100 just so that I can have a great sound while playing games. I have a newer set of logitech 5.1 speakers. I don't know the model, but they weren't the cheapest. Do you think they could be the problem / cause the crackling?

Thanks much for you input and help!
Old September 25, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

[QUOTE=bobafett4ever;92634]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
The best current gaming cards are ones that feature the X-fi chipset. quote]

I thought that originally too, but I had an expensive one - the fatality series that had the 5.25 I/O, and I got a lot of crackling. I've heard it may be because it's not compatible with the NVidia chipset on my mobo. Have you heard of that, or do you think that's a possibility? It was almost a year ago when I had it, so maybe they've come up with some drivers to fix that issue?
If I knew I could get rid of the crackling, I'd be willing to spend about $100 just so that I can have a great sound while playing games. I have a newer set of logitech 5.1 speakers. I don't know the model, but they weren't the cheapest. Do you think they could be the problem / cause the crackling?

Thanks much for you input and help!
Creative cards and Auzentech cards are COMPLETELY different beasts.
Old September 25, 2008, 08:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

Creative cards and Auzentech cards are COMPLETELY different beasts.
Oh really? I figured that by using the X-FI chipset maybe I'd experience the same problem no matter who made it. Are you saying that they use / create different drivers and although the Creative card gave me problems, the Auzentech may/should work well?
I am not familiar with Auzentech. Do they update their drives, and will this card be a good one for a couple years (at best guess)? I'd hate to buy one then find out it has no support.
Thanks!