Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2008, 09:02 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Question E8400 Core temps - OCZ Vendetta 2 cooling

Hi all, I picked up the Vendetta 2 for my build on an Asus P5Q Pro MB, E8400 stock clocked in an Antec 900 case. So far I am very happy but I do have one anomaly. My core temps are about 10 degrees different. Core 0 shows about 48C at idle and Core 1 shows 37C. I used CoreTemp to read the cores. I am using Speedfan to read the other temps and adjusted it to read the same core temps as CoreTemp. I updated the MB to BIOS 1104 and my readings are:

Case - 32C
CPU - 24C
Aux - 15C

I ran Prime 95 on max temp and blend for 10 min, not a big test, just a quick one, and them split remains pretty consistant, though it does creep closer. After the 10 min the temps were 55C and 48C and stayed pretty solid. The CPU reading upped to about 36C and stayed solid too.

After all this, I am wondering if my heatsink is just not installed correctly? I did check before I mounted the MB in the case and all four pins were through and all 4 pins had the little black centre pin visible. That is my indicator that all are seated. I used the recommeded method to apply the paste, 2 lines on the aluminum as per the linked article in the review.

Am I just paranoid? :) Opinions welcome!

Dwayne
Old August 17, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

only use Realtemp for those chips.

nothing else is reliable.
Old August 17, 2008, 09:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have used Realtemp and notice that you can set the Tjunction in the options. Therefore the reading in Realtemp will still be dependent on the TJ you set. When I ran it the first time TJ was set to 95C. In CoreTemp TJ is set to 105C. Since Intel does not seem to want us to know what the correct TJ is for the E8400 it is hard to know exactly what the real temp is.

All that aside, the readings are still about 10C different using any of the temp reading programs such as HWMonitor, CoreTemp, Speedfan and RealTemp.

Thanks for the reply though!
Old August 17, 2008, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
I have used Realtemp and notice that you can set the Tjunction in the options. Therefore the reading in Realtemp will still be dependent on the TJ you set. When I ran it the first time TJ was set to 95C. In CoreTemp TJ is set to 105C. Since Intel does not seem to want us to know what the correct TJ is for the E8400 it is hard to know exactly what the real temp is.

All that aside, the readings are still about 10C different using any of the temp reading programs such as HWMonitor, CoreTemp, Speedfan and RealTemp.

Thanks for the reply though!
You don't touch settings in RealTemp.

Install and check the temps.

Its the most reliable of them all.

45nm chips will have a lower Tjunction due to cooler running chips unlike the 65nm.
Old August 17, 2008, 12:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What are your temps at load? Those are the important ones. There are a lot of instances of the E8400's having a "stuck" temperature sensor, which don't drop down to proper idle temps. I.E. they're correct at load, but not at idle.

And yes, I'd be tempted to remount, just to make sure. Put the pins in using a star pattern, opposite corners like mounting a 4 bolt tire.

Is this a new build? or just a new HSF?
Old August 17, 2008, 12:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hi SugarJ,

It is a new build. The HS was mounted using the star pattern with one sticky leg, but all got through fine, or so they appeared.

I was running Prime95 for 30 min and the load, using CoreTemp was 55/48 pretty steady. CoreTemp is 48/38 at idle. These are based on a TJunc. of 105 in CoreTemp.

Running RealTemp the temps are 10C lower and steady, so 45/38 with load and 38/26 at idle.

I don't want to start tweaking the CPU until I am confident that the temps are ok.

Dwayne

A side note, I have a VisionTek HD 4870 and with the fan at 35%, set manually using the profile.xml, it idles at 46C, mild OC to 470/1000 though the test CCC did pushed it to 490/1010. All in all I am pretty happy!
Old August 17, 2008, 12:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, with that temp spread both at load and idle, something needs adjusting. The nice thing about that HSF is you don't have to pull the mobo to remount. I'd try a redo on the pin you had problems with 1st, if that doesn't help a full remount is probably in order.

And I bet that system rocks gaming. I'm about to go to a 4870 myself.

All that coretemp/realtemp difference is just bs. Distance to tJunction is the important number. I personally think the actual temperature lies in between, because if I believed realtemp, my temps are lower than room temp at idle, which is impossible with air or water cooling.
Old August 17, 2008, 01:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I was afraid someone was going to say remount :) I hate the idea of pulling it off now that it is in the case. I did the mount on the MB outside the case using a nice piece of foam under the MB to take up some of the pressure of the pushing on the pins. I don't like the sound a MB makes when you are trying to push in the pins! *crack**creak*!

I have not played a lot on it yet, some FSX and Mass Effect. GRID came with it and I use it to show off the video card, the replays are amazing! Once I get a little more cash I am truly thinking of another 4870 and going CrossFire as well.
Old August 17, 2008, 01:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, you knew the answer about remounting before you asked the question, didn't you? You could run it stock the way it is.

Ya, Grid is lots of fun. Hard to get used to at 1st, but worth the effort.

Enjoy your system.