Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2008, 02:16 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Help with appling a TRUE 120

Alright so after multiple attemps at applying my TRUE 120 with MX-2 I cannot get temps better then 35 idle and 65+ under load....

I have a Q6600 at 2.93 ghz and 1.248 vCore after Vdroop under load....it's 1.28 in the BIOS

this is on a DFI P45-t2rs (can not lower the voltages only up them....

My ambiant temp is between 20-22

Now I was wondering if someone could show me a couple pics of their thermal application? and tell me the best way to apply it?

I think my true is in need of an RMA because I can wigle it with all the screws tightened down to the max....but Thermalright says re-apply the paste please...which I have done and the temps still have not improved still waiting to here back from them...

so can anyone help me out? I have tried the line method, a grain of rice method, and the dab everywhere until the CPU is drench out of frustration method....and am starting to get aggrevated.... can someone help me out pretty please?
Old August 10, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

How are you applying your paste? Remember little is more. You don't need to apply a lot. For the Core 2 Duo you just need to apply a small line down the middle of the core.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old August 10, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

What kind of fan are you using? That heatsink will handle a pretty serious heatload, but not if there isn't enough airflow between the fins to carry the heat away. A little range of motion is common for the TRUE's, and while annoying, it doesn't seem to actually impair the heatsinks' performance any.

Any chance of a photo of your own (best) thermal spread after it's been pressed down? The IHS on the Q6600's aren't the most consistant, unfortunately.
Old August 10, 2008, 02:59 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've heard about the penny method, which adds a coin between the clamp and the HSF body to increase the pressure.
Paste application is problem #1.
Fan selection is problem #2.

As a last resort, you'll probably have to lap either or both the HSF and the CPU.... have you checked the flatness BTW?
Old August 10, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

^^ As charlie said. However I would also check if your TRUE is making good contact with the processor. Maybe add a small cardboard piece under the X that goes over the base and gets screwed on the backplate.

As for applying thermal paste, I know lots of people just add a dab in the middle of the processor and then give pressure on the heatsink. However I found that spreading it actually works better. What you do is apply a very small amount in the middle of the processor and then take something like a credit card and spread it out, have a paper towel in hand to clean the extra bit of paste that remains in the process of applying.
Old August 10, 2008, 04:33 PM
Top Prospect

Default Reply

I've heard it before, many TRUE owners have trouble with temps because the base is not flat enough. Lapping is a must in this case.

Thermalright doesn't have "flat" in it's vocabulary.
Old August 10, 2008, 05:37 PM
Allstar

According to Thermalright (and a number of forums) the heat spreader, especially on Intel processors, is ever so slightly concave, This has been borne out on a couple I have checked at random. If the convex heatsink mates with the concave heat spreader all is fine other wise a bit of lapping, as previously suggested, may be in order. Be VERY careful lapping the processor and it will void any warranty.
Old August 10, 2008, 06:31 PM
MVP
F@H

hm.... I would like to leave it as a last resort to lapping the heatsink and will not lap my CPU (I don't got the balls to do that unfortunately). As for a picture I will get one either tomorrow or the next day since it's kinda late and rather not take out my mob tonight.

Thanks for all the replies. I like the idea of adding a piece of cardboard in between the "X" clamp and the heatsink my only problem with this is the little screw that is on the clamp would get in the way of making even contact would it not?

It's actually very disappointing...spent about 50$ on a heatsink which is supposed to be the best of the best when I could have gotten results like this with probably an AC7......

o and the heatsink has a P12 on it pushing upwards in the case then I got a tricool on the top of the P182 pulling air out of the case...

Put a P12 on the back of the case as exhaust and one in the front middle as an intake

and for future reference thermalright may just be getting on my to not buy list...since this product is lacking in quality and their support is even worse...Why can't more companies be like Antec and Mushkin for support and quality control....
Old August 10, 2008, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

I just pulled my TRUE off of my own Q6600, and haven't gotten around to cleaning the heatsink yet, but this here is an example of a fairly good application. Note: the processor is lapped, and this particular heatsink is possibly above-average in quality, to hear some of the complaints from other people. Still, it's an example. I used the "line" method, although after pressing down, I gave it a full 90 degrees each way before torquing it down. Sorry, the CPU's been cleaned already, or I'd have a photo of it too.
Name:  TIMapplicationTRUE.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  33.1 KB
With a single Noctua P12, using the inline resistor to bring the speed down to 1100rpm, this mount was good for load temps of 60 degrees, on a Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz (can't remember, but I think Vcore was about 1.275-1.3V).

Last edited by MpG; August 10, 2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old August 11, 2008, 04:36 PM
MVP
F@H

I'm going to do it a little later tonight or tomorrow(got a day off) and try the twisting method...I'll take some pics and also add a piece of cardboard to try it out.

Thanks for the pic:)