Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2008, 10:04 AM
MVP
F@H

Other than the value not being quite there when compared to other coolers that are just as good, great read none the less
Old August 1, 2008, 11:01 AM
MVP
F@H

Great review! I have the regular TRUE and love it.

As SKYMTL mentioned the mounting method is impotant too. I don't like the idea of a large hunk of metal sitting just over my cherished video card just supported by those crappy push pins. Scarry.

I'll tell you what I really, really want. I want Thermalright to come out with an Ultimate Extreme Contact. Picture the TRUE with exposed heat pipes (drool), now that should perform amazing. If they made it black that would be even better. I've debated giving my TRUE to a machinist to try and pull this off but I'd only be able to expose the slightest bit of heat pipe before going right through it as it's currently really not designed for it. Still debating though.
Old August 1, 2008, 11:36 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

What also should have been mentioned/tested was whether the fan was pushing or pulling air through the heatsink. It can make difference on occasion in my experience.
Old August 1, 2008, 02:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For all cooler reviews a single fan is setup to push air through the cooler. I've never been a fan of having a single fan sucking air through a Air Cooler. The only exception would be if the mfg'er mounts the fan in such a way to suck air through, and then we would mention this quirky/ unique behavior.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 1, 2008, 02:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review AkG. I think you should put in a caption:

This Fan Sucks!

or

This Fan Blows!

On topic, interesting to see that this TRUE-BLACK can still be top of the heap with a couple of Noctuas on it. Imagine what it could do with direct touch heat pipes.
Old August 1, 2008, 04:01 PM
Top Prospect

Default Reply

Quote:
Great review. Can you justify the price of it over the TRUE just because it's black. It performs the same as the TRUE. Is the black nickle plating worth the extra $15.00?
AFAIK, it's only worth it if you're going for a completely black project.
Old August 1, 2008, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakgeek1337 View Post
AFAIK, it's only worth it if you're going for a completely black project.
I would just spray paint my True 120 black and save a whole lotta money.

Painting your cooler will make no difference as long as you keep the paint thin.
Old August 1, 2008, 06:16 PM
Allstar

Great review as usual. I'd love to get my hands on the black version, it is sexy as hell.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N