Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 29, 2008, 11:00 PM
lukaszr's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brampton/ Ontario
Posts: 15
Default Looking for a 775 Socet CPU cooler

Ok, i am looking for an etremely good CPU heatsink.
I do not want to remove my motherboard at all, therefore i am looking for something that is push-pin or clip installation.

Can someone recommend something to me, budget is $100.00.
i am running an E8400 (not overclocking).

thanks!
__________________
VideoCard: BFG GeForce 9800GTX OC
Mobo: Asus P5N-T Deluxe 3-Way SLI nVidia nForce 780i SLI Chipset
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz
Memory: OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Vista Performance Platinum 4GB 800MHz
PSU: Apevia Iceberg 680-Watt
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 29, 2008, 11:04 PM
Infiniti's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,388

My System Specs

Default

Why don't you want to remove the motherboard? Its not too much work. If you change your mind, you should have a look at my FS thread. I have a Ultra 120 for $45.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 29, 2008, 11:07 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaszr View Post
Ok, i am looking for an etremely good CPU heatsink.
I do not want to remove my motherboard at all, therefore i am looking for something that is push-pin or clip installation.

Can someone recommend something to me, budget is $100.00.
i am running an E8400 (not overclocking).

thanks!
OCZ Vendetta 2 ..

Uses stock Pushpin.

$30
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 29, 2008, 11:10 PM
lukaszr's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brampton/ Ontario
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
OCZ Vendetta 2 ..

Uses stock Pushpin.

$30
is it a good solid heatsink?

i have the OCZ Vindicator and i returned the thing cause the bracket for the push-pins wouldn't install correctly. really had me pissed off.

hows the OCZ Vendetta 2??
__________________
VideoCard: BFG GeForce 9800GTX OC
Mobo: Asus P5N-T Deluxe 3-Way SLI nVidia nForce 780i SLI Chipset
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz
Memory: OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Vista Performance Platinum 4GB 800MHz
PSU: Apevia Iceberg 680-Watt
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old July 29, 2008, 11:12 PM
Infiniti's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,388

My System Specs

Default

I don't really like the "push-pin" mechanism just because I find it annoying to install. Thats why I like stuff that require taking out the mobo.. Much less PITA, just a straight forward process.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old July 29, 2008, 11:25 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaszr View Post
is it a good solid heatsink?

i have the OCZ Vindicator and i returned the thing cause the bracket for the push-pins wouldn't install correctly. really had me pissed off.

hows the OCZ Vendetta 2??
Vendetta ranks right up there with the Ultra 120 and in some cases people swear its better than the 120

Pushpins are ok for normal use but if you really want to push I suggest using a non-pushpin cooler.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old July 29, 2008, 11:34 PM
misterlarry's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 1,356

My System Specs

Default

Pull the mobo and buy Infiniti's 120. I really like mine and pulling the mobo will let you get all the really old dust bunnies from behind it.

__________________
Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - Intel i5 2550K @ 3.4 GHz - Corsair H80 CPU Cooler- 4x4 GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX560 Ti
1x120 GB Mushkin Chronos Enhanced SSD - 1x500 GB Seagate Hybrid Momentus - 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 - Pioneer DVR-212D - Antec P182 - Corsair TX650 - 22" Hanns-G - Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1



The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old July 29, 2008, 11:45 PM
lukaszr's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brampton/ Ontario
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlarry View Post
Pull the mobo and buy Infiniti's 120. I really like mine and pulling the mobo will let you get all the really old dust bunnies from behind it.

LOL - there are no dust bunnies back there, as i had just built this computer 2 weeks ago LOL.

I think i'll go for the OCZ for now, then by the end of the year, upgrade to something better...when i take apart the comp for cleaning :)
__________________
VideoCard: BFG GeForce 9800GTX OC
Mobo: Asus P5N-T Deluxe 3-Way SLI nVidia nForce 780i SLI Chipset
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz
Memory: OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Vista Performance Platinum 4GB 800MHz
PSU: Apevia Iceberg 680-Watt
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old July 30, 2008, 12:10 AM
Infiniti's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,388

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaszr View Post
LOL - there are no dust bunnies back there, as i had just built this computer 2 weeks ago LOL.

I think i'll go for the OCZ for now, then by the end of the year, upgrade to something better...when i take apart the comp for cleaning :)
Hmm.. Do I see a new water cooler? (at the end of the year?)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old July 30, 2008, 04:56 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
OCZ Vendetta 2 ..

Uses stock Pushpin.

$30
Thats a nice HS and after going to OCZ and clicking on the HWC reviews;

"- Great Cooling Performance (near water cooling levels!)
- Quiet fan
- HDT base works as advertised
- Great price
- Tool-less installation"

OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler Review

That looks like a good buy.
__________________
Q6600@3.15Ghz|CNPS9500|GA-EP45T Extreme|GSkill 2GB 1333MHz|Sapphire 4850|OZC GameXtreme 700|XP64
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes