Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2008, 02:43 AM
Allstar

Default extremem cooling?

Ive been toying with the ideas of buying a really small old freezer, the kinds that are barely up to your knees. Ive bgeen thinking of gutting one and placing my machine inside a freezer LoooL and make a whole new lvl of VAPOCHILL!
Anyone here or anyone ever seen on the net of a freezer oput in a rig, or a rig PUT IN the freezer?
Old July 29, 2008, 04:19 AM
Top Prospect

I assume it would have to be frost free, but either way condensation would collect on the mobo, creating unwanted circuts, and fry it. You still need to just focus the energy generated by a freezer and focus it on a very small point (the CPU HS block).
Old July 29, 2008, 07:40 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

this is a common subject and the end result is the same...don't waste your time. a freezer isn't designed to handle a heat load...any heat load. freezers are designed to keep the 'box' a set sub-zero temperature, but without any heat load. as soon as you insert a small heat load, the whole thing starts to go downhill. if you insert the heat load of a modern computer, it goes downhill very fast.

mini-fridges and deep freezer cooling is for ice cream and milk, not cooling a computer putting out massive amounts of heat. your looking for a phase change unit or a water chiller.
Old July 29, 2008, 07:47 AM
Allstar

oh darn! thought it would be cool, even if I had to like, make it really heavy duty, like maybe, get a wireless KB/mouse setup and lerave my machine in a walk in freezer:P
mehm ill libve with the fact that I got to get warm in my bedroom from the never ending heat source
Old July 29, 2008, 07:56 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Vapochill > just about everything else. Therefore, Vapochill > your silly little freezer. Also, Condensation + lack of fresh air (aka airflow other other components) = your fancy system is now dead. Sorry.
Old July 29, 2008, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

Default Reply

If you want cold. Get a very powerful ac unit. Then get an air duct and connect to the side panel. Way ghetto!
Old August 4, 2008, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect

Any cold air blowing directly into a case is bad...UNLESS it's dry cold air. If not, it's bye bye computer.
Old August 4, 2008, 11:01 AM
MVP
F@H

Wally World has 5000 BTU AC units for 88 bucks. Put it in your bedroom window and cool the air in your room down to say 18 degrees and put a good heat sink on your proc. Fill all spaces you can in your rig with fans.

You get a cooler computer and a cool room! Cheaper than water cooling and you get the benifit of cooling yourself.