Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2008, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
Argh,
Hows this for Karma.... I tell my younger brother about the problem... he goes and gets a little plastered, butchers holes in the 690 pannel to "help with cooling" at 4am the other morning.

He drilled like 50 holes in the freakin pannel... so with the pannel off, I'm gettin better temps lol, obviously

So... he's gonna give me 50 bucks (the cost of a new pannel shipped from the states) towards getting the Tagan Black Pearl or a TJ07....
I'm kinda leaning towards the Black Pearl, cause its cheaper
Both of those cases are way to big for a day to day computer.

Tagan or Tj07 are good if you are watercooling.

Stick with your 690 and get some good fans for it.

But your temps are PERFECTLY fine.
Old July 29, 2008, 11:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Both of those cases are way to big for a day to day computer.

Tagan or Tj07 are good if you are watercooling.

Stick with your 690 and get some good fans for it.

But your temps are PERFECTLY fine.
Agreed. Between the increased ambient temp, and the new(possibly hotter running) GPU...that would likely account for the temp increase. mattlef, your drawing shows 4 intake fans and 2 exhaust. I think that you seem to have a decent balance going on(by your temps), but are you running positive-pressure(more intake than exhaust)? You could always add 1 or 2 more fans above the motherboard, in the provided spots...as exhaust. Just a suggestion if you want to try for better temps..but negative-pressure will increase dust in your case. Some of us would be very happy with your temps. GL
Old July 30, 2008, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree now that the temps are fine.. I was just a little worried about the increase, but I can chalk that one up to the 9800GTX....

As for the Black Pearl, it is a huge case, and I do at some point think I'm going to go Water one day.... but I want to try to have a monster air cooled rig with that case, with the option to go WC if I wanted to.

Anyone have any experience with the Black Pearl?

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old July 30, 2008, 08:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
Agreed. Between the increased ambient temp, and the new(possibly hotter running) GPU...that would likely account for the temp increase. mattlef, your drawing shows 4 intake fans and 2 exhaust. I think that you seem to have a decent balance going on(by your temps), but are you running positive-pressure(more intake than exhaust)? You could always add 1 or 2 more fans above the motherboard, in the provided spots...as exhaust. Just a suggestion if you want to try for better temps..but negative-pressure will increase dust in your case. Some of us would be very happy with your temps. GL
D'oh...i don't know why, but i was thinking that you had the CM690.
Old July 30, 2008, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
D'oh...i don't know why, but i was thinking that you had the CM690.
Oh I'm using the CM690 now.... just with the side panel off because its been ruined.
I'm getting the Black Pearl soon however

----------------
---------------
Instagram Twitter
Old July 30, 2008, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I agree now that the temps are fine.. I was just a little worried about the increase, but I can chalk that one up to the 9800GTX....

As for the Black Pearl, it is a huge case, and I do at some point think I'm going to go Water one day.... but I want to try to have a monster air cooled rig with that case, with the option to go WC if I wanted to.

Anyone have any experience with the Black Pearl?
A bigger case does not give better air flow!

It becomes MUCH harder to get good air flow in a bigger case. The only reason why temps may SEEM better in a larger case for is because there is more area for the heat to move around.

If I can overclock my e8400 to 4.2ghz and keep all my case temps in the 30s with a 8800GT in a 690 .. you should be able to as well.
Old July 30, 2008, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
A bigger case does not give better air flow!

It becomes MUCH harder to get good air flow in a bigger case. The only reason why temps may SEEM better in a larger case for is because there is more area for the heat to move around.

If I can overclock my e8400 to 4.2ghz and keep all my case temps in the 30s with a 8800GT in a 690 .. you should be able to as well.
I do agree that I should be able to do it in the 690, and I have been able to do so... but now with the damage to the side panel, its made me think of upgrading. I understand that a bigger case is harder to get good airflow, but, I want a big enough case that I can comfortably fit WC if I choose to do so. I'm not afraid of the challenge a larger case brings, if anything I welcome it.

----------------
---------------
Instagram Twitter
Old July 30, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I do agree that I should be able to do it in the 690, and I have been able to do so... but now with the damage to the side panel, its made me think of upgrading. I understand that a bigger case is harder to get good airflow, but, I want a big enough case that I can comfortably fit WC if I choose to do so. I'm not afraid of the challenge a larger case brings, if anything I welcome it.
Then that is a different reason! :P

I personally don't like the Tagan as its just a copy of a lian-li case.. and would much prefer something like the TJ07
Old July 30, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Then that is a different reason! :P

I personally don't like the Tagan as its just a copy of a lian-li case.. and would much prefer something like the TJ07
It is a copy of the Lian-Li V2010, but its a good $100 cheaper then the TJ07 and the V2010.... but it provides similar, if not the same quality. So, i mean, I'm going to wait and see what lowfats log brings... but I have a strong feeling I'm going to get the case regardless....

For the record though, I love the Lian-Li cases, I just cant afford them lol

----------------
---------------
Instagram Twitter
Old July 30, 2008, 10:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

We want a picture of the "mangled" case side of your current case....... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP