Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2008, 12:12 AM
Rookie

Default Need help mounting a fan

I have a Thermaltake armor+ case and I got a fan for the top exhaust... but in order to screw in the fan i need to take some pin things out and take off the top of my case. I have no experience building computers so i said f it.. so now my only real option is tape... I don't want to use Duck tape because it will look ugly and be sticky so maybe wire tape? does anyone have any better ideas for sticking a fan on the top of the case?

edit: or should i just get really big screws?

Thanks

Last edited by Kentalish; July 20, 2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old July 20, 2008, 01:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentalish View Post
I have a Thermaltake armor+ case and I got a fan for the top exhaust... but in order to screw in the fan i need to take some pin things out and take off the top of my case. I have no experience building computers so i said f it.. so now my only real option is tape... I don't want to use Duck tape because it will look ugly and be sticky so maybe wire tape? does anyone have any better ideas for sticking a fan on the top of the case?

edit: or should i just get really big screws?

Thanks
How about zip-ties? Tape is a really bad idea. Eventually, it'll let go... and drop..possibly doing damage on it's way(spinning) down. I think you should retry taking the top off and mount the fan properly. If there are plastic "tabs", you just carefully push them inwards, and upwards at the same time. You'll have to do each one at a time. Then putting it back on is a breeze.. they just snap into place. Even if, god-forbid.. one of them broke, it wouldn't be that much of a deal..not like a front panel clip(gravity would keep it down). Anyways, GL in which ever way you do it... just don't use elastics.
Old July 20, 2008, 03:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It does not look like that case is designed to have a fan installed there. From the best pic I could find it does not look like the normal 90/120 mounting holes so you would have to bodge some screws through whatever holes would fit best. It also looks like the fan would be in the way of the PS. Considering this case has options for fans on four of the five other sides do you really need one up here? Are you having cooling problems?

Zip-ties were my first thought too, and I second 1Tanker's suggestion to try and get the top off. It is usually not that hard to disassemble these things and there is little chance of ruining everything so long as you don't apply too much force. The top might be a little harder to remove than the average front panel; I doubt this is designed to be removed.

Another possible way to mount the fan might be cord or even a shoe lace. Just thread it through the fan's mounting holes and then up through the grill on the case and tie it tight. Make sure you trim off or tie back the loose ends so they do not get caught in the fan. This might rattle depending on how tight you get the cord and where the fan gets wedged.
Old July 20, 2008, 04:15 AM
Rookie

it doesnt get in the way of my power supply and i have this one here

Thermaltakeusa»Chassis»Full Tower»Armor Series»Armor+ : Armor+ VH6000SWA
Old July 20, 2008, 04:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Going by the specs on the site... the top isn't "meant" to have a fan.
Old July 20, 2008, 04:31 AM
Rookie

it has 4 screw holes at the top though.. well 4 holes