Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2008, 08:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendofJubei View Post
I bought the thermalright bolt-thru kit to use instead of the pushpins so I will let you know what happens when I remount it once again. Am I doing the thermal paste wrong? Should I be using more? Less? I basically just spread it nice and evenly (under a magnifying glass/tech light combo) across the heatsink. I'd say it's no more thick than a few sheets of paper. There were no gaps or anything.

Thanks for any recommendations. Sorry for being longwinded...it's just that I was really anticipating some good overclocking but I'm not willing to go ahead with it at 40 degrees idle
Hi. I have the same case and cooler and I just ordered the bolt through kit as well after reading some of these threads. I have an E8400 and it idles about 41/32. My fan is running full speed (1400rpm) and all tri-cool fans are set to mid-speed. Room ambient is 23C. I am hoping that the bolt through makes a difference on the core temps... I am sure my HS is on right, but I have read many posts of different core temps.

I am looking forward to seeing you post your results, and comparing them to my results as well.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 29, 2008, 09:03 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendofJubei View Post
Case: Antec 900
Mobo: ASUS P5Q Deluxe (newest drivers)
CPU: Intel Q9450 (2.66 stock non-overclocked)
Ram: Mushkin XP PC2-8500 DDR2 1066 (2x2GB)
Video Card: Visiontek HD 4870 X2 (catalyst 8.8)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 640GB
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S203N
Heatsink: OCZ Vendetta 2
Thermal Paste: MX-2

Ambient room temperature is actually quite chilly, it's in a basement room and I get pretty cold down there, I'd estimate between 15 to 20 degrees celsius.

...it's just that I was really anticipating some good overclocking but I'm not willing to go ahead with it at 40 degrees idle
What are you using to check your temps?. I have the same CPU,MB and cooler as you excrpt my quad is overclocked to 2.93. Under load Realtemp shows 43 43 52 52, HWMoniter shows each about 5* higher with ambient around 25*. Can't tell the idle temps as my cpu and gpu Fold 24/7. Also my case is missing the top 140mm tricool [It broke when my computer got knocked over]...

Old August 30, 2008, 06:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you guys having any issues with the Vendetta 2 and Asus P5Q boards? Specifically meaning having the HSF mounted in a "blow to the back" orientation without touching any other heatsinks etc. I have a P5Q deluxe and am looking for a CPU heatsink that will fit.
Old August 30, 2008, 07:22 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Are you guys having any issues with the Vendetta 2 and Asus P5Q boards? Specifically meaning having the HSF mounted in a "blow to the back" orientation without touching any other heatsinks etc. I have a P5Q deluxe and am looking for a CPU heatsink that will fit.

Vendetta 2 fits on the P5Q Deluxe just fine, great cooler...

Old September 1, 2008, 02:24 PM
Top Prospect

Just wanted to give an update:

I received the backplate bolt thru kit and installed it successfully...temperatures didn't drop all that much unfortunately but after a little more research I discovered the problem. If you just google "Q9450 high idle temps" you'll find literally hundreds of threads about this problem. Apparently it has nothing to do with the heatsink or thermal paste or anything else. It has to do with Intel and something about the diodes not giving accurate temperature readouts at idle. There is a semi-annoying solution where you get a program called realtemp and calibrate it properly in order to get the correct idle temps. The method is somewhat flawed, but I overclocked the Q9450 to 3.2 Ghz (is this decent? Computer wouldn't post at 3.4) and the highest temperature readout under an 8 hour prime95 torture test was 52 degrees. My FSB is hovering around 1599 so I don't think I can go any higher than 3.2. Does anybody have any ideas? Should I raise the core voltage or just be happy with the 3.2ghz?

Old September 1, 2008, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Can I ask one small question, what program are you using to read temps. I think it was Core Temp or Real Temp that you are actually supposed to use for the new Duals and Quads from Intel, they give close to accurate temps.
Old September 1, 2008, 04:12 PM
Top Prospect

Program I was using previously was Sandra, Speedfan and the system BIOS which all gave the same readings. Realtemp definitely gives more accurate temps. I can open the case and touch the heatsink and it definitely doesn't feel even close to the 40-50 I was getting before on idle. Perfectly happy with this heatsink and highly recommend it but also recommend using realtemp to monitor temps on quad cores
Old September 1, 2008, 07:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The latest Coretemp (0.99.3) now has the correct published TJmax for all Core 2 chips as of 08/22. Intel finally released the info. Coretemp previously read 5 degrees higher than actual on Wolfdales while Realtemp read 5 degrees lower than actual.
Old September 1, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Perfect thanks Sugar. So Legend, I suggest dumping speedfan and use coretemp instead, at least you can know what exactly are your temps. I know lots of users like speedfan, but imo sorry I just never liked it.
Old September 2, 2008, 08:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

wow cool. im glad it was something simple