Old August 19, 2008, 07:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphman910 View Post
Make sure you do a price match Direct Canada, so you can get it for $5.40

Paphman910
Old August 28, 2008, 03:57 PM
Top Prospect

I have a question about CPU temps...in this review they're showing some very great idle temps at around 20-25 range etc. In my build with this heatsink and a noctua pf-12 fan, my idle temp is 43 degrees.

I've read some other reviews on this heatsink and their bios temperatures were reading between 37 and 40 degrees also. How did hardwarecanucks get their cpu to have a reading of 20 degrees idle? I can't figure out how there could possibly be a 20 degree variation...:help: I've mounted the heatsink twice now and checked thermal paste application etc and the temp has been exactly the same each time. This is in an antec 900 with 6 fans each spinning at high speed.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?
Old August 28, 2008, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendofJubei View Post
I have a question about CPU temps...in this review they're showing some very great idle temps at around 20-25 range etc. In my build with this heatsink and a noctua pf-12 fan, my idle temp is 43 degrees.

I've read some other reviews on this heatsink and their bios temperatures were reading between 37 and 40 degrees also. How did hardwarecanucks get their cpu to have a reading of 20 degrees idle? I can't figure out how there could possibly be a 20 degree variation...:help: I've mounted the heatsink twice now and checked thermal paste application etc and the temp has been exactly the same each time. This is in an antec 900 with 6 fans each spinning at high speed.

Ambient Temps.
Old August 28, 2008, 04:52 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I use an open bench, so my temps are going to be about as good as the tech behind them allows. This combined with a cool room of 20C +/- a little bit also makes a big difference. Plus the dual core I am using is an extremely cool running chip at stock (but oddly enough is a pig when the juice is upped). Unless the other reviews were using a e4600 you can't really compare 'em.
That being said 43C sounds hot for IDLE. What CPU are you using? Are you OC'ing? What is your ambient case temp? How are you applying the TIM? How much TIM are you using? What kind of TIM are you using?

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 28, 2008, 04:59 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendofJubei View Post

The Testing Methodology states that it was done with an ambient temperature of 20 C on an "open bench". The electronics on the motherboard, power supply Video Card, memory and hard drive are all going to contribute to higher temperatures inside a tower.

Paphman910
Old August 29, 2008, 08:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

LegendofJubei - im not sure why your temps are so high, especially in that case. im using a coolermaster ammo case with some minor modifications (replaced metal mesh on side with plexi windows+fans) and my idle temps are about 28-30 deg, load is around 49, with the highest i have ever seen it go (during orthos) being 52 deg (e6850 @ 3.5 ghz). for fans i have 2 80mms and a 120mm. im using the stock fan with the vendetta 2, and im using ceramique for termal paste.

what cpu are you using?
Old August 29, 2008, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

You know The Xigmatek S1283 cooler. Regarding that one, they released a bolt thru kit just like the thermalright one's, since the vendetta 2 is based on the xigmatek, that kit should work. NCIX.com - Buy Xigmatek ACK-I7751 Crossbow Mounting Kit for 3 Piece Heat Pipe for HDT-S963 HDT-S1283 RS-S1283 - ACXTACK-I7751 In Canada.
I know its kinda pricy, but it is at least guaranteed to work with the cooler, not saying the thermalright won't, but it might need modifications.
Old August 29, 2008, 10:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

DC has this puppy on sale right now.
For $20 you can't go wrong!

OCZ Vendetta Heatpipe CPU Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S939 S940 S754 92MM 1200-2800RPM - DirectCanada
Old August 29, 2008, 06:32 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the replies! Let me give a bit more info to those who were asking:

Case: Antec 900
Mobo: ASUS P5Q Deluxe (newest drivers)
CPU: Intel Q9450 (2.66 stock non-overclocked)
Ram: Mushkin XP PC2-8500 DDR2 1066 (2x2GB)
Video Card: Visiontek HD 4870 X2 (catalyst 8.8)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 640GB
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S203N
Heatsink: OCZ Vendetta 2
Thermal Paste: MX-2

Ambient room temperature is actually quite chilly, it's in a basement room and I get pretty cold down there, I'd estimate between 15 to 20 degrees celsius. Case has 4x 120mm fans (two front, one rear, one side mounted to the plexi). Heatsink has a Noctua PF-12 fan and the top of the case has the 200mm fan.

First time I applied the paste I filled the gaps on the heatsink first and then put two dots of paste about the size of this . I then spread that across thinly covering the portion of the heatsink that would be touching the CPU.

Noticed temps were idle at about 40 degrees and since I wanted to overclock I figured I must have done something wrong. I dismounted the heatsink, wiped off the heatsink and cpu with some rubbing alcohol and reapplied the paste, this time putting a bit on the chip first and doing the same process with the heatsink. After everything was reattached temps were about the same, though averaging at about 43 degrees.

Normally I'd think that was normal but I thought these 45nm chips were supposed to produce less heat? My old computer which is using a stock heatsink/fan (and 1x 120mm rear case fan) attached to an amd athlon 4800 X2 (95nm?) is running at 21 degrees idle. That's got to be...3 year old technology or so...

:help:

I bought the thermalright bolt-thru kit to use instead of the pushpins so I will let you know what happens when I remount it once again. Am I doing the thermal paste wrong? Should I be using more? Less? I basically just spread it nice and evenly (under a magnifying glass/tech light combo) across the heatsink. I'd say it's no more thick than a few sheets of paper. There were no gaps or anything.

Thanks for any recommendations. Sorry for being longwinded...it's just that I was really anticipating some good overclocking but I'm not willing to go ahead with it at 40 degrees idle
Old August 29, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I picked up a Vendetta 2 for my new build. I haven't done much, but I checked the temps in the BIOS, and the BIOS reports a temp of 21C. That's the same or lower than my room temperature.....

Unless my E7200 has a stuck sensor, all I can say about the Vendetta 2 is wow.