Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Close your case and get some better air cooling through it.

What fan you go on your 120?
Old July 12, 2008, 11:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibs View Post
35C ambient! Ouch how can you sleep! That would definitely explain those high temps. Trying to gauge temperature readings in the middle of the summer is obviously pretty tough. Lower those ambient temps and you will most definitely see an improvement. As for the paste in the socket, that contact cleaner is a great thing to use. When I had an rma board sent to me from evga once it had what looked like AS5 in the socket. I was afraid I was going to fry the entire system with that stuff in there, but I just soaked it with that contact cleaner and used a toothpick to get out the rest and it worked just fine.
Yeah.. sleeping is pretty hard.. I have to not sleep in one night just to sleep on the other..
I should really get an AC.. I was about to, but there was this week about a month ago where it was so cold, before that I decided I needed an AC, but I guess the weather changed my mind, and I spent that money elsewhere.
About the paste in the socket, yeah, contact cleaner is a godsend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Close your case and get some better air cooling through it.

What fan you go on your 120?
Umm.. The fan I got on it is the sycthe slip stream 1200RPM fan.
Old July 15, 2008, 12:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

There is nothing wrong with the Ultra 120 Extreme. I'm using a 1600rpm Scythe S-Flex 120mm fan on it. I've done over 4GHz with an E6850. And I can do 3.8GHz with a Q9450 as well although I prefer to run it at 3.4 due to temps.

If you're not getting the expected results with this cooler (or any other cooler of the same caliber), then you should look for a fault elsewhere such as:

--> Not enough intake case fans
--> Not enough exhaust case fans
--> Poor cable management inside the case
--> Too much thermal paste
--> Improper securing of the heatsink itself
--> Ambient room temperature
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old July 15, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
There is nothing wrong with the Ultra 120 Extreme. I'm using a 1600rpm Scythe S-Flex 120mm fan on it. I've done over 4GHz with an E6850. And I can do 3.8GHz with a Q9450 as well although I prefer to run it at 3.4 due to temps.

If you're not getting the expected results with this cooler (or any other cooler of the same caliber), then you should look for a fault elsewhere such as:

--> Not enough intake case fans
--> Not enough exhaust case fans
--> Poor cable management inside the case
--> Too much thermal paste
--> Improper securing of the heatsink itself
--> Ambient room temperature
I have three intake case fans, two exhaust, I have all my extra cables in the back side of the case, I made sure my thermal paste wasn't oozing off the side of the CPU, and it wasn't, I screwed down all the spring screws to the max and used the washer mod, giving more pressure to the HSF on the CPU, and my room temp isn't bad at all.. (At least not anymore)