Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2008, 12:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I just got a Thermalright ultra-120 to cool my Q6600,and was very upset by the temps i got,they were 2C more than the old AC Freezer 7 Pro i was using before.I tested the bottom on a piece of glass and found it any thing but true,so out came some 600,1000 and 1500 sandpaper for some lapping.I also used the washer mod to make the Ultra-120 seat way tighter,and ended up using two antec 3-speed fans out of old Antec 900 for some push pull action,and behold lost 12C load and 9C idle better than Freezer pro 7
Old July 9, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

It's a solid heatsink, and while there were some QC issues early on, I thought they'd ironed out the important ones. My secondary rig is using one right now, and it's holding the Q6600 @ 3.2GHz at about 60 degrees load, with nothing more than a single Noctua P12 using the in-line resistor.

For the record, I found that putting a piece of tape over the gap between the fan and the fins was worth an extra degree, since it helps force the fan's airflow to actually pass through the heatsink.
Old July 9, 2008, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorBuzzon
I just got a Thermalright ultra-120 to cool my Q6600,and was very upset by the temps i got,they were 2C more than the old AC Freezer 7 Pro i was using before.I tested the bottom on a piece of glass and found it any thing but true,so out came some 600,1000 and 1500 sandpaper for some lapping.I also used the washer mod to make the Ultra-120 seat way tighter,and ended up using two antec 3-speed fans out of old Antec 900 for some push pull action,and behold lost 12C load and 9C idle better than Freezer pro 7
The problem is that I'm not really that "pro" at lapping.. the last time I tried to lap an Apogee GT, I screwed up big time.. But what was that about the washer mod? I might try that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by feakgeek1337
No, it's not about the fans. I'm surprised nobody brought this up. Thermalright can't say flat. The TRUE has been known to have flatness issues. The one TRUE you have happens to be very uneven then. If you want better temps you're going to have to lap the TRUE. Or maybe it's the processor's flatness. Or maybe it's both! I'd advise you lap the CPU and the TRUE. Best temps ever.
I doubt I'm going to lap my CPU.. If I screw it up, then I'll get worse temps.. Anybody have a "good" way of lapping though?
Old July 9, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
The problem is that I'm not really that "pro" at lapping.. the last time I tried to lap an Apogee GT, I screwed up big time.. But what was that about the washer mod? I might try that .

I doubt I'm going to lap my CPU.. If I screw it up, then I'll get worse temps.. Anybody have a "good" way of lapping though?
I posted a sort of mini "guide" in this thread.

Also, check the video that's embedded there.
Old July 9, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
I posted a sort of mini "guide" in this thread.

Also, check the video that's embedded there.
Where? I can't see it.
Old July 9, 2008, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Where? I can't see it.
Sorry, forgot the link

First try at Lapping!
Old July 10, 2008, 02:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lol. Great, now that I have a guide to look to, if I screw up, I can blame the person who made the guide.

Just kidding. But is the beer nescessary? I think all I have in the mini fridge is.. water and juice.. Didn't stock up on beer. Anyways, is the metal polish really nescessary? Or is it just.. to make it cooler, as in better looking?
Old July 10, 2008, 03:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

Don't use polish. At best, it'll do nothing. At worst, it might actually manage to leave a film behind.
Old July 10, 2008, 05:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Lol. Great, now that I have a guide to look to, if I screw up, I can blame the person who made the guide.

Just kidding. But is the beer nescessary? I think all I have in the mini fridge is.. water and juice.. Didn't stock up on beer. Anyways, is the metal polish really nescessary? Or is it just.. to make it cooler, as in better looking?
Not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Don't use polish. At best, it'll do nothing. At worst, it might actually manage to leave a film behind.
Only if you don't clean it properly afterwards.
Old July 10, 2008, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That means that the mirror finish isn't really nescessary?