Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2008, 12:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Not worth it.

You'll get minimal benefit from it while putting a big hole in your case.
Really???

Cause I'm pretty sure tha two rear 80mm fans isn't enough exhaust, but I'm not ready to buy another case...

What if I put 2 120mm fans?
Old June 26, 2008, 12:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_N_T_H_O_N_Y View Post
Really???

Cause I'm pretty sure tha two rear 80mm fans isn't enough exhaust, but I'm not ready to buy another case...

What if I put 2 120mm fans?
He might be right, but you get a case of beer, get the power tools out, lots of funů..
Old June 26, 2008, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Another case would give you a two birds with one stone situation. Not only would you have better airflow(if you pay attention to what you get) but you will also have a good looking case(if you select the right one).
Personally I vote for a new case unless you want to plan out the most effective intake and exhaust holes you would need and what sort of fans would be best suited.
Old June 26, 2008, 12:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Another case would give you a two birds with one stone situation. Not only would you have better airflow(if you pay attention to what you get) but you will also have a good looking case(if you select the right one).
Personally I vote for a new case unless you want to plan out the most effective intake and exhaust holes you would need and what sort of fans would be best suited.
And because of all the cost involved he could have bought a new case already.
Old June 26, 2008, 01:12 PM
Rookie

I just realized that the front of my case can hold one 120mm fan instead of two 80mm.
Old June 26, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I would invest in a new case such as the P182 or perhaps one of the Antec 900 or Antec 1200 cases. But if you really want to salvage your case consider the following.

1. Get rid of all your 80mm fans and replace them with 120mm if you don't mind some extra noise get ones with high static pressure

2. Clean up those cables, zip ties are your friend

3. check out your intake vents perhaps they are restricting airflow. Also in regards to the air vents if any of your fan ports have those crappy stamped ones remove them and replace them with some nice chromed wire ones. I think ncixsells them fro like $3.00 each.

4. Invest in high performance heatsinks. Start with your cpu and look at stuff from thermalright. Awesome stuff from them. Then look at something for your vid card.

When all else fails. put in water cooling

Old June 26, 2008, 02:01 PM
Allstar

ANTHONY i already had a case like this, it was the "green" rig in sig that was in it.

that little athlon Mobile was cooking into that case so i tried alot of thing.

1st : i cut the rear grill and put some wire chrome grill instead, with high cfm fan on the rear, and put 2 fan on front. -- work a bit but not that much ....

2nd., cut the side pannel and add 2 80mm fan that pushed right on the cpu to help it cool a bit -- didnt realy help

3rd cut a vent hole in the top case, cut a hole for a 120mm in front, but since the front of the case was solid (read no hole for air) i have cut some "half-circle" in the isde of the front benzel. and drill lot of 1/4'' hole in the front to let the case breath.

all that work to end with a thermaltake Armor case, which was already desing with a good air flow.

all i wanted to say it : dont waste your time and money on that case and get a case that already have a good air flow. ive waste more then 100$ in fan controler, fans, fan grill, nhigh cfm fans, tornado's fans, tools to cut/mod the case and it simply didnt work.

hope my story help you in your desicion.

good luck

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old June 26, 2008, 02:21 PM
Top Prospect

Just get a new case and that is my plan this coming summer. Not worth the trouble doing all that work and the amount of money spent on fans and fan controller. I calculated that I will spend about $100 getting the Cooler Master 590 from either Direct Canada or NCIX with shipping and tax. The nice thing about the power supply compartment is located on the bottom and it has vents on the bottom for fresh air for the power supply.

Paphman910
Old June 26, 2008, 05:52 PM
Rookie

Man, I wish I had the money for a new case right now...
Old June 26, 2008, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_N_T_H_O_N_Y View Post
Man, I wish I had the money for a new case right now...
You can get the 590 or 690 for less that $70 on sale.