Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2008, 08:44 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler Review comment thread

Xigmatek has been making quite the name for themselves with their HDT coolers, so when they sent us one review we were very intrigued to see how well it would stack up against better known coolers.

While not everything is perfect on this amazingly affordable high performance cooler, Xigmatek certainly has made something special; and in the end it truly is an award worthy piece of kit.

You can check out my Review of the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 here: XIGMATEK

Please use this thread to post all of your questions, comments and suggestions.

Hope You Enjoy It!
AKG

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 20, 2008, 09:56 AM
MVP

Nice Review. I bought the Kingwin version of this cooler, mounting it to an AM2 board was much easier than the struggle you had with the LGA775 mount. I am really impressed by the performance for the cost being just under 25 dollars. I imagine we'll see a lot of new coolers coming out with this heatpipe design now.
Old June 20, 2008, 12:29 PM
MVP
F@H

would have been nice to have a 120 in that review but it was a very good review :)

also it would be nice if they sold a backplate for it
Old June 20, 2008, 01:53 PM

Thank you Snoosebum and klaiboi.

Over the next little while we will be doing a TRUE Black...so stay tuned ;)

As for the mounting it on the AM2 I agree that it is MUCH easier. I'll probably use it or another clone of it on my new AMD rig.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 20, 2008, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Once again, I would like to see a pic of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink after it has been isntalled. My speculation is that it is only touching 1 of the heatpipes fully, and only a bit of the other 2.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old June 20, 2008, 03:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
Once again, I would like to see a pic of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink after it has been isntalled. My speculation is that it is only touching 1 of the heatpipes fully, and only a bit of the other 2.
I think you are correct Cptn, I've seen a picture of the contact area somewhere, but I can't locate that review right now.

I kinda wish I'd seen this review yesterday before I got a Ninja Copper on sale from NCIX (39.99!), but as good as this Xigmatech is, it just don't have the same bling factor. Plus it matches my V-2 copper GPU cooler. And kept me from blowing the budget and going watercooled.

Back on topic, nice article AkG.

Last edited by SugarJ; June 20, 2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old June 20, 2008, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

I was first looking at this very heatsink, then decided to go with the Sunbeam CCF since it has 4 heatpipes and it beats the TRUE. But since the Sunbeam cooler is hard to get anywhere in Canada, I will be going for the Xigmatek.

Oh yeah AkG thanks for the review, I will wait for the TRUE Black, when are you doing that review, can't wait to see that before I do actually invest in another heatsink. I am one of those few users not entirely impressed with my TRUE.
Old June 20, 2008, 06:44 PM

I have a few other reviews ahead of the True Black but the way I have been pumping them out recently it shouldn't be too long a wait ;)

Old June 20, 2008, 06:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I have a few other reviews ahead of the True Black but the way I have been pumping them out recently it shouldn't be too long a wait ;)
I take it there's no NDA on that then.
Old June 20, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

good review and a nice cpu heatsink. Honestly I didn't think this would perform this good at the looks of the cooler. Well never judge a cooler from its looks then :p.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."