Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   New Heatsink (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/7840-new-heatsink.html)

miggs78 June 6, 2008 11:11 PM

New Heatsink
 
I am thinking of buying a new heatsink, since my mobo is back.. I did have the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, but maneuvering this heatsink is too much time consuming, plus they are heatsinks out there that perform better for lesser value...

This time a direct heat pipe touching one:

Xigmatek HDT-S1283

Kingwin RVT-12025D and Kingwin RVT-12025 the only difference is one is a tower style heatsink and the other like the good old XP-90 style heatsink.
Kingwin RVT-9225

The only difference in the 9225 and 12025 is that the 12025 is a newer version of HDT technology coolers.
I really still attract the 12025 and 12025D (this one more because it blows air towards the mobo for hot motherboards)..

OCZ Vendetta 2

Now all I need from you guys is input on which to go for, now since I don't have much time because of work keeping damn good busy, I need your help in picking out the major differences and which to go for.

Offcourse same deal as most of you, overclock or play games, intel processor require some cooling.

Thanks :rolleyes:

Babrbarossa June 7, 2008 12:18 PM

wouldn't it just be easier to stick with the 120, which is an excellent heatsink? by difficult to maneuver, do you mean that it doesn't fit in your case, or it's difficult to mount?

paphman910 June 7, 2008 06:37 PM

What about the Thermalright Ultima 90.

Paphman910

stoanee June 7, 2008 07:08 PM

If you have a couple of days i will let you know how the Xigmatec does on my Q6600. it should be here in a couple of days. I did have an Ultima-90 on it but I moved it over to my E3110.

JD June 7, 2008 07:23 PM

I don't see what's wrong with the TRUE. I have one myself and it isn't that difficult to put in. Sure you need to remove the motherboard, but with any heatsink it's usually easier with the motherboard out of the case. Plus it comes with a backplate so you have that reassurance your motherboard isn't going to snap into pieces.

If you insist on a new one, I'd go with the linked Xigmatech. Unless you can find the Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer.

paphman910 June 7, 2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 61266)
If you have a couple of days i will let you know how the Xigmatec does on my Q6600. it should be here in a couple of days. I did have an Ultima-90 on it but I moved it over to my E3110.

If run at stock clock what is the idle temperature and load temperature on the E3110?

Paphman910

b1lk1 June 7, 2008 08:01 PM

Nothing outperforms the Ultra 120 Extreme. Makes no sense to switch to an inferior heatsink.

miggs78 June 7, 2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babrbarossa (Post 61224)
wouldn't it just be easier to stick with the 120, which is an excellent heatsink? by difficult to maneuver, do you mean that it doesn't fit in your case, or it's difficult to mount?

I agree 120 is a very good heatsink, and your right its just way too frustrating for me to mount it and unmount it, since I changed jobs and have very little time on my hands, I am hardly home for even 5hrs when I work, so removing the mobo and unmounting that bolt-thru style kit drives me crazy.

That bolt through style of mounting the heatsink is what I find hard, even after removing the mobo, you have the press really hard, and I don't even have a drill.. not that I am weak :haha:.. just hard lol..

One another prob I had was that I had lapped my heatsink, for some reason as time went on the temps started increasing, its clear it lots a little of its base hence the heatsink slightly rotates even after mounting. I added pieces of card board on top but didn't work. One more thing I have is that I need a new back plate since I had RMA the mobo, and I accidently removed that paper covering the sticky part on the heatsink, also the plastic part that leaves a slight gap btw the mobo and back plate causing a short to happen.

Sorry for the long reply, but that is my sad story

snoosebum June 7, 2008 11:24 PM

I've had the Kingwin RVT-12025 for about 2 weeks I'm happy with it. Its mounted on an AMD processor right now, mounting is easy, no need to take out the motherboard, cant speak for an Intel mount however... You'll need a deep case however.
I too was kind of interested in the horizontal RVT-12025D but the one review I read, it didnt cool as effectively. I think the 12025 was about 25 bucks from Direct Canada you can price match it with NCIX.
It would be nice to see it reviewed against a TRUE. I think I read somewhere there was a 4 heatpipe direct touch version out, or coming out as well.

1Tanker June 8, 2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miggs78 (Post 61277)
I agree 120 is a very good heatsink, and your right its just way too frustrating for me to mount it and unmount it, since I changed jobs and have very little time on my hands, I am hardly home for even 5hrs when I work, so removing the mobo and unmounting that bolt-thru style kit drives me crazy.

That bolt through style of mounting the heatsink is what I find hard, even after removing the mobo, you have the press really hard, and I don't even have a drill.. not that I am weak :haha:.. just hard lol..

One another prob I had was that I had lapped my heatsink, for some reason as time went on the temps started increasing, its clear it lots a little of its base hence the heatsink slightly rotates even after mounting. I added pieces of card board on top but didn't work. One more thing I have is that I need a new back plate since I had RMA the mobo, and I accidently removed that paper covering the sticky part on the heatsink, also the plastic part that leaves a slight gap btw the mobo and back plate causing a short to happen.

Sorry for the long reply, but that is my sad story

Once you remove the motherboard and install the back-plate, you shouldn't have to do it again...unless you switch to another heatsink that uses the useless push-pins again. As far as the cooler being able to turn back and forth...that's normal, but you can put washers under the screw-down springs..to increase tension on the springs. Look at this picture(which is an Ultima-90 AMD bracket..but same screws) to see the washer. If one isn't enough, put a few washers on all 4 screws.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 PM.