Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2018, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

2C is 2C and anything cooler is better, period.

however, testing parameters may be different due to the case and HDD configuration.

would be interesting to know... ;)
Old January 2, 2018, 01:10 PM
Top Prospect

Yeah, definitely improved the look of the Noctua stuff! Never understood what Noctua was thinking when they went with that colour..... almost makes ya think one of two things - either they wanted to make sure their stuff was different from EVERYBODY else(in which case they succeeded), or they got such a smokin' deal on that colour from their supplier(doubtful).

For folks with side windows, your mod is a big improvement, but in my case(pun intended), there's no side window, so I can throw any ol' fugly coloured stuff inside.
Old January 6, 2018, 08:51 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
Yeah, definitely improved the look of the Noctua stuff! Never understood what Noctua was thinking when they went with that colour..... almost makes ya think one of two things - either they wanted to make sure their stuff was different from EVERYBODY else(in which case they succeeded), or they got such a smokin' deal on that colour from their supplier(doubtful).

For folks with side windows, your mod is a big improvement, but in my case(pun intended), there's no side window, so I can throw any ol' fugly coloured stuff inside.
Noctua said that their color was to resemble the Noctua owl logo. I don't mind it and in my opinion it's function over aesthetics/form.
Old January 6, 2018, 12:11 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Looks good man, nice work.
Old January 21, 2018, 09:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

On the back of my modding my Noctua CPU cooler. My partner decided she wanted to do the same thing for her new PC build. This was her first attempt at modding PC hardware. Her mod was also considerably more complicated to do than my mod was. The CPU cooler itself is 165mm tall and her case only has a max CPU clearance of 167mm. So there was only 2mm extra clearance to work with compared to my case. The acrylic cat heads she wanted to use for her mod were 3mm thick each. So I had to mod the rear of the cats heads for her by using a Dremel to create pockets in the back of the cats heads in line with the top of the cooler heat pipes to counter sink them into the cats a couple mm to bring them under the 167mm threshold. Unfortunately my partner is disabled and unable to handle power tools safely as result, so I had to this part for her.

My partner then added some really fine glitter paper to the back of the cats heads to give them more contrast and to make it easier to see the details of the acrylic cats cutouts. I measured and cut out the holes for the main glitter paper fašade the would act as the backdrop for the cats heads. The glitter paper my partner got for this mod was surprisingly good quality. I should really call it glitter card rather than paper, because it's much thicker and more rigid than paper. But I was surprised because while I had my reservations about using glitter card (I didn't like the idea of the glitter possibly shedding onto other components and possibly causing shorts if they landed in the wrong spot), the card she sourced was so good, even with my sitting there with a screwdriver scratching at the glitter, none of the glitter would come off. Seriously... Not one speck. Even scratching the glitter to the point of scratching completely through the paper, the paper would shred "long" before the even one speck of glitter would ever actually separate from the card. That was good enough for me to put my concerns aside. So I have to give her credit on that. She sourced some really nice quality card for this mod.

My partner then used some "white" blue tack in the pockets I created in the back of the acrylic cat heads to fit the cats heads to the top of the heat pipes on the cooler. The tack was also good so that should we decide to remove it the cats later it wouldn't be a problem since the tack is not permanent. Thankfully, once everything was said and done, after all the prep work we actually managed to get the cats on and still have to enough room spare to be able to put the side panel on without the cat heads moving. So we managed to get it just under the wire of the max clearance. Insert huge sigh of relief here.

All in all, I'm really impressed with what we managed to do with so little room to work with and I think it actually looks really good. This mod was entirely my partner's concept, but I helped where needed. My partner is really happy with the result. Even happy with it enough to allow me to share a picture of it here for all of you to see it. She also can't wait to see how it looks once she gets some RGB LED strips in her case and sees how the glitter card catches and refracts the colors from the LEDs.

I hope you like it.

Last edited by bignick277; January 23, 2018 at 05:23 PM.