Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2017, 05:20 AM
Top Prospect

Question Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 - Why only one fan?

Hi, for the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 why is there only one fan as opposed to two fans? The one I am using now I bought several years ago has two fans!

Thank you,

CG :)
Old November 25, 2017, 06:38 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Because you bought a 'S' model which is meant to enhance RAM and PCIE compatibility. All S variants - including the D15S - only come with one fan. (IIRC) Always have, always will. If I had to guess seven years ago you bought the SE variant which came with two fans ("Slim, Enhanced").

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; November 25, 2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old November 25, 2017, 08:05 AM
Top Prospect

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Because you bought a 'S' model which is meant to enhance RAM and PCIE compatibility. All S variants - including the D15S - only come with one fan. (IIRC) Always have, always will. If I had to guess seven years ago you bought the SE variant which came with two fans ("Slim, Enhanced").
No sh*t, but where is the double fan model for the TR4? Is Noctua racist against TR4
Old November 25, 2017, 08:26 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you need the extra cooling capacity pick up a second noctua... or even replace them with higher performance fans. BUT most peeps dont go TR they go Ryzen and as such one fan is more than enough cooling. IE it would make an already expensive cooler even more costly. IMHO the U14 is a touch small for uber high TDP Threadripper CPUs with even two low speed Noctua fans. YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr