Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2013, 09:29 PM
MVP

Default Which VGA cooler would you recommend?

I really like the performance, features and price that the R9 290X brings to the table. I don't like the heat and noise. Right now I have a Silverstone FT02 case that is incredibly silent and has fantastic air cooling abilities. I'm thinking about snapping up a 290X and taking my first run at installing an aftermarket VGA cooler.

I don't mind spending some money if the cooler is:

1. Effective, providing me a big drop in temperatures.
2. Quiet. If the cooler doesn't come with fans and I pick my own, that is fine.
3. Easy to install. I can follow instructions, so as long as they are clear and the installation process is well thought out, I should have no problems. If I get a folded 1 page instruction leaflet that is in 6 different languages and just shows vague photos with one sentence descriptions, that will be an issue.
4. Looks good. I have a window on my case, and I want my gear to look sweet.

A couple of products I have considered:

1. MK-26 Black Series | Prolimatech

2. ARCTIC Accelero Hybrid | quiet VGA Cooler for AMD / NVIDIA | silent Cooler | wide compatibility | high heat dissipation | best performance on overclocking | low noise | gaming PC

Any opinions on either of these, or any suggestions for other products? Thanks guys.
Old November 10, 2013, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you're not going to watercool, it's usually not worth the premium and hassle to buy aftermarket VGA coolers these days. You're better off waiting for a non reference 290/290X with a custom cooler.

That said if you just want to tinker I'd go for the Gelid triple slot VGA cooler as that can be sometimes found for ~$30-40. Performance differences are fairly minimal and it's not bad in terms of noise.
Old November 10, 2013, 11:17 PM

My System Specs

I have the MK-26 and I must say it is one beautiful heatsink. It is probably the best aftermarket GPU heatsink however it is very expensive. Around $80-$90. It does come w/ a ton of various sized VRM and VRAM heatsinks. Rather clear instructions except it doesn't tell how to mount the fan clips. Just an FYI it will only accept 120mm fans, which it doesn't say in the instructions.
Old November 11, 2013, 06:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The AC line pretty much defined after market cooling to vid cards from day one. I've used a few of them over the years, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

That said... lowfat posted some pics of his and that's one hell of a sexy looking card. :-)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old November 11, 2013, 09:09 AM
MVP

What are the chances of using the VGA cooler on a difference graphics card in the future? Do companies offer mounting hardware for different cards the same way Noctua does for their coolers?
Old November 11, 2013, 09:39 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
What are the chances of using the VGA cooler on a difference graphics card in the future? Do companies offer mounting hardware for different cards the same way Noctua does for their coolers?
The MK-26 comes w/ many various mounting hardware. The mounting holes on GPUs rarely changes anymore so it should work w/ any GPUs down the road.
Old November 11, 2013, 02:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

That is one sexy looking cooler for sure, the only issue I had with Artic coolers is the tape they give is crud does not hold very well so I mad my own version a drop of Crazy glue and thermal paste ( I used AS5 and MX4 both worked well and had near identical performance.

I had a 6870 that was not cooling so well, so I got an S1 Rev 2, 2 120mm fans, a pack of Zalman ram sinks, took off the plastic clip on the s1, mounted it, ziptied fans to the heatsink, all told ran a good 20c better then the reference and a good 30c better on the ram and Vreg, 6870 was not a hot card till you clock it up then it hit in the 85 range no problem, after modding unless it was way hot in the room, was running 48-53c.

The artic hybrid apparently cools very well, I know my S1 rev2 cooled quite well and that MK26 looks by far more robust. I am not 100% certain the Artic Hybrid would cool the whole card very well vs the other would as the whole card gets covered or gets air blown on it.

Get a 290 non X and whatever cooler you want, save some coin and have as good performance plus overclocking, afterall the reference cooler on the 290 and 290x is the same and there really is not a whole whack of performance difference between the 2.
Old November 12, 2013, 10:02 PM
MVP

Where did you guys buy the MK-26? I see on Prolimatech's website that Newegg.ca is the Canadian option. When I search Newegg it is unavailable. I guess I'll just need to pay attention to ebay?
Old November 13, 2013, 01:47 PM

My System Specs

I bought mine from FrozenCPU.
Old November 19, 2013, 08:00 AM
Rookie

Performance differences are fairly minimal.