Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2013, 08:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default any particular recommendations for fans?

I did some swapping around on my two towers yesterday, replaced my phenom x4 955 with my i7 2600k and moved my sabertooth x79 and i7 3930k into the box that had the 2600k

one of the cases is an antec 900 and the other is a 300, but anyway, half my fans are connected to 4pin molex connectors and have manual speed switches, and the rest are mostly 3pin

So I'm looking at getting all new fans with PWM connectors since both mobo's have enough fan headers, and then I can get rid of my modular molex cables and make wire management a little easier

So I'm wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations, I'd be looking to get a matching series of fans in 200, 140, and 120mm, mostly 120mm fans though

so far from what i've been looking at, the bitfenix spectres seem to be a decent option, though I can't find a 200mm fan with PWM connector, so I might have to leave that one out?
Old August 18, 2013, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis1 View Post
I did some swapping around on my two towers yesterday, replaced my phenom x4 955 with my i7 2600k and moved my sabertooth x79 and i7 3930k into the box that had the 2600k

one of the cases is an antec 900 and the other is a 300, but anyway, half my fans are connected to 4pin molex connectors and have manual speed switches, and the rest are mostly 3pin

So I'm looking at getting all new fans with PWM connectors since both mobo's have enough fan headers, and then I can get rid of my modular molex cables and make wire management a little easier

So I'm wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations, I'd be looking to get a matching series of fans in 200, 140, and 120mm, mostly 120mm fans though

so far from what i've been looking at, the bitfenix spectres seem to be a decent option, though I can't find a 200mm fan with PWM connector, so I might have to leave that one out?
Unless all those fan headers are 4 pin which they usually aren't pwm is out and will still require splitters or a fan controller.
Old August 18, 2013, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

On my MSI P67A-G43, SpeedFan detects 3 of 4 of my 3-pin sys_fan headers (along with the 4-pin PWM CPU fan header) and I can control those 3 headers without PWM; no need for PWM fans.

The only case fan I'm using on my HAF 912 is the 200mm intake, which I control via SpeedFan. I have it profiled to GPU temperature so it only comes on during gaming, and it's ramped with temperature up to 85% max speed (usually stays around 50% in games). My GPU fan is controlled via Afterburner and my 800RPM CPU fan is always-on via BIOS.

Anyways, with this setup I have great acoustic control, temperature control, dust management and it's all fully automated through software. I suggest downloading SpeedFan to see what 3-pin fan headers it will detect and allow you to control.

By the way, I have an extra red LED 200mm CM fan if you're interested. I was going to use it in the outtake fan position before I saw the light and realized it was overkill. PM me if you're interested.
Old August 18, 2013, 02:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
On my MSI P67A-G43, SpeedFan detects 3 of 4 of my 3-pin sys_fan headers (along with the 4-pin PWM CPU fan header) and I can control those 3 headers without PWM; no need for PWM fans.

The only case fan I'm using on my HAF 912 is the 200mm intake, which I control via SpeedFan. I have it profiled to GPU temperature so it only comes on during gaming, and it's ramped with temperature up to 85% max speed (usually stays around 50% in games). My GPU fan is controlled via Afterburner and my 800RPM CPU fan is always-on via BIOS.

Anyways, with this setup I have great acoustic control, temperature control, dust management and it's all fully automated through software. I suggest downloading SpeedFan to see what 3-pin fan headers it will detect and allow you to control.

By the way, I have an extra red LED 200mm CM fan if you're interested. I was going to use it in the outtake fan position before I saw the light and realized it was overkill. PM me if you're interested.
What a great idea, but are you saying that you have it set for 0 rpm until such time as the GPU starts to work?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 18, 2013, 07:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Unless all those fan headers are 4 pin which they usually aren't pwm is out and will still require splitters or a fan controller.
sabertooth x79 is all 4 pin headers onboard, so back on topic, any specific recommendations toward fans

scythe glidestreams is another option currently as well