Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2008, 12:07 PM
Top Prospect

Default Thermalright ULTIMA-90 Thermalright Ultra 120

Is anyone here using either the Thermalright ULTIMA-90 or the Thermalright Ultra 120 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L or similar motherboard? Are these heatsinks heavy for these boards? do they come with the under the sockets supports or do i need to purchase the BOLT-THRU Kit for Ultra 90, Ultra 120,. Every review I've read seems to show the bolt through kit and the fan mounting kit so i am not exactly %100 on what i need to mount this heatsink or if i should purchase both accessory kits.

Also is anyone here using either of these heatsink on a 45nm quadcore or even a Q6600?
Old April 27, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The backplates come with the coolers, no need to buy extra. If you want more than one fan on the 120, you will have to buy extra clips. The Ultima comes with clips for a 90 mm and a 120 mm fan.
Old April 27, 2008, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
The backplates come with the coolers, no need to buy extra. If you want more than one fan on the 120, you will have to buy extra clips. The Ultima comes with clips for a 90 mm and a 120 mm fan.
Yeah, i have the U120E on my DS3L. As stoanee said, you only get 1 set of fan clips.. and they suck to me(compared to the ones on my XP-120)..so i made 2 wire fan-holders out of 2 old steel shower-curtain rings. Jury-rig FTW. I have no problems with the weight on the mobo(though it is heavy with a 120x38 fan)... but i do lift it from the top end of the board, when maneuvering it around outside the case. GL
Old April 27, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I use the Ultima 90 on a Gigabyte P35 ds4 (ds 3 w/ heatpipes) and it is a great combo. As stoanee stated it comes with everything you need BUT a fan. You can read any my reviews and see what temps I have gotten with the Ultima 90 + q6600. Its a great combo, especially when paired up with a Noctua NF -P12 120mm fan. I used to use Scythe Fs but the Noctua's do a better job and are quieter. The only down side is they are nearly 20 bucks.
I also use (for the time being) a Ultima 90 on my little fireball q9450, @3.2ghz w/ 1.14voltage it runs about 40C at idle and about 60C at full load (using prime 95 large FFTs for 8hrs w/ ambient temp 20C). IF you want even lower temps go for a TRUE. I prefer the Ultima 90 as its lighter and thus puts less stress on your mobo (but thats just my personal preference). Personally, I am going to water cooling for the q9450 as I want to OC MUCH more than 3.2ghz and that is the next logical step ;)

BTW the TRUE are on sale (check out NCIX deals section of the forum).

EDIT:
Heres the link for the Noctua's:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...facture=Noctua

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 27, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

[quote.so i made 2 wire fan-holders out of 2 old steel shower-curtain rings./quote]
Did you get them from the guy on Planes,Trains and Automobiles?/