Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2013, 08:22 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Noctua NH-U14S & NH-U12S Review Comment Thread

The new NH-U14S and NH-U12S follow closely in the footsteps of past Noctua products. Their goal is to deliver excellent performance without the fan noise typically associated with high end cooling solutions but with price points that compete with entry level water coolers, they're facing an uphill battle.

Read more here: Noctua NH-U14S & NH-U12S CPU Coolers Review

Old June 13, 2013, 09:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Interesting review.

There is one thing I am interested in your opinion on. Michael, I'm not too sure about the greatness of the NF-U14S. With the dual NZXTs, it was 9 degrees C warmer when the CPU was overclocked than the Phanteks with the high speed OC results and pretty much trades blows with the Prolimatech Super Mega/Megahalems.

Old June 13, 2013, 12:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

What happened to Noctua? They used to make great coolers. These two don't separate themselves from the rest of the pack.
Old June 13, 2013, 01:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

They give similar performance while being quieter and leaving a smaller footprint. AND they come with high quality fans out-of-the-box unlike most others.
Old June 13, 2013, 02:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Not really. The D14 was a king and still is. If you look at the graphs it is very clear that someone might as well get the EVO 212+ over the U12S as they don't have a big difference in performance. And the Phanteks 14s are better than the U14S. They seem to have done something different. And even sound levels are not that great. Again, this coming from looking at the graphs.
Old June 13, 2013, 04:06 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Air cooling can only go so far. It is the acoustical footprint versus perf of these things that is impressive.
Old June 13, 2013, 04:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Air cooling can only go so far. It is the acoustical footprint versus perf of these things that is impressive.
That I agree with.
Old June 13, 2013, 06:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you want monster cooling, you go water. If you want merely insane cooling...you go D14 or another HUGE air cooler and stick a LOT of fans on it.

If you want quiet cooling from an Air Cooler that is not the size of a HTPC the other Noctua's are hard to beat.

The U14S is whisper quiet. Provides good cooling and is so dead simple to install that it puts many company's designs to shame.

The U12S is also a darn good, easy to install and comes with a very good fan. A CM 212+ can indeed do similar levels of performance BUT its a heck of a lot louder. This the trade-off you make.

IMHO SilentPC that is air based == Noctua.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 13, 2013, 11:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
Not really. The D14 was a king and still is. If you look at the graphs it is very clear that someone might as well get the EVO 212+ over the U12S as they don't have a big difference in performance. And the Phanteks 14s are better than the U14S. They seem to have done something different. And even sound levels are not that great. Again, this coming from looking at the graphs.
The Phanteks does beat the D14, and then yeah, the dual liquid sealed coolers seem to be on their own terms like the NZXT Kraken X60 or the H100i. My biggest concern with those types of coolers is that there have been quite a few stories about them leaking. And I'd be worried about manufacturers honoring the warranties.

You could also put custom fans on a cooler like the Phanteks. IMO, if the Phanteks is in your budget, then so probably is getting some high end fans to replace it.
Old June 14, 2013, 04:45 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

AIO mfg'ers will honour any damage done from a leak that is caused by a factory defect (ie as long as you dont screw with it and it leaks...its a defect and they will cover you). Corsair's even come with a slip of paper saying they will do exactly this. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr