Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Thermal compound? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/60409-thermal-compound.html)

Your_friendly_gamer March 26, 2013 07:11 PM

Thermal compound?

I have been using IC diamond 24 for a long time now and it works great. I really like it, except it leaves marks on the cpu itself and it is hard to apply. And not to mention costs me like 30 bucks each time. I would like something that wont fry my board if i get some on the motherboard itself by accident and is really good.

AKG what do you think sir? What is it that you like? Please recommend folks. Thank you.

Bloodystumps March 26, 2013 08:19 PM

I personally use plain old TIM from Active electronics and I have for many years I believe that out of all the different types on the market that there might be a couple of degrees variation and as much as I like to think that I am a enthusiast in this hobby I just don't worry about every last deg I can squeeze out of it...

here is a review of a few and as you can see as long as your not using chocolate you will be with in the top tier...

Generic User #2 March 27, 2013 02:31 AM

isn't MX4 widely regarded as the 'best' 'non-exotic' TC? alternatives include noctua's

KaptCrunch March 27, 2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodystumps (Post 699112)
I personally use plain old TIM from Active electronics and I have for many years I believe that out of all the different types on the market that there might be a couple of degrees variation and as much as I like to think that I am a enthusiast in this hobby I just don't worry about every last deg I can squeeze out of it...

here is a review of a few and as you can see as long as your not using chocolate you will be with in the top tier...

SEEMS the testing is fixed for the room temp vari's from 12c - 26c

really 12c for a room

sswilson March 27, 2013 04:07 AM

I'm still using one of those monster sized MX-2 tubes. :)

Easy to apply and while it may not be the top performer, it's no slouch either.

G777 March 27, 2013 05:32 AM

Here's a recent comparison done by der8auer from hwbot [eXtreme-roundup] 26 Thermal Compounds tested - hwbot.org

Masteroderus March 27, 2013 05:42 AM

I like noctua nh1. It's not expensive, you don't need to dope the surface and it's the easiest install i have had for TIM.

It's really viscous and has a ton of surface tension so it "spreads itself" when you apply the pressure from the heatsink.

It also doesn't have a burn in time.

lowfat March 27, 2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G777 (Post 699144)
Here's a recent comparison done by der8auer from hwbot [eXtreme-roundup] 26 Thermal Compounds tested - hwbot.org

So unless you buy the really cheap stuff you are fine. :thumb:

jibz March 27, 2013 09:35 AM

Generally a keep a few tubes of noctuas handy as my go to but I have no problem grabbing any of the tubes from blocks and heatsinks I've collected, it seems all the rebranded stuff is pretty much mx2 and I'm perfectly content with that.

As you can see from gav's link 0.2 degree difference doesn't justify being picky.

Exit: actually the only paste I've gotten that I didn't like was evga's frostbyte which I suspect is conductive.

Your_friendly_gamer March 27, 2013 12:06 PM

Thanks guys, I do like IC diamond 24 but frig its a pain to apply and get rid off afterwards.