Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2013, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
I personally use plain old TIM from Active electronics and I have for many years I believe that out of all the different types on the market that there might be a couple of degrees variation and as much as I like to think that I am a enthusiast in this hobby I just don't worry about every last deg I can squeeze out of it...

here is a review of a few and as you can see as long as your not using chocolate you will be with in the top tier...
LOL, I like how they used chocolate, mayonnaise, toothpaste, etc. Funny stuff!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 27, 2013, 04:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I ordered and received one of these pads a couple weeks ago. Thing is I havn"t tried any yet so I can"t really comment on how good or bad it works. Notice the thermal conductivity rating though, its almost double that of most pastes.
Different thickness pads are available.

Ultra Extreme Thermal Pads | Page 1 | Sort By: Product Title A-Z - FrozenCPU.com *
Old March 31, 2013, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

ooohkay.

I'll explain this again.

Thermal Interface Material or T.I.M. /heatsink paste/etc .... is designed to fill the microscopic scratches between mating thermal surfaces.It's not designed to correct mismatched surfaces or non-uniform clamping , etc.

Any properly designed /implemented thermal solution should be within tolerance without thermal compound !!

The mating surfaces need to be flat or 'pair lapped'....The clamping/mounting screws need the correct torque.

Start there!!....If you are getting 2 degree improvement with thick/expensive/highC compounds then there are other far more important issues....

I use Silicone Heat Transfer Compound | MG Chemicals

20$ buys you a lifetime supply !!

Don't buy the expensive stuff.It's a myth.You don't need it unless you have a warped HSF or cpu....

edit :

Here's a secret ;
Wakefield-Vette | A Global Leader in Thermal Solutions, End-to-End Services with Engineering, Manufacturing, and Supply Chain

Commercial thermal solutions.They have the engineering documentation of what I just said too.Check em out , lotta cool stuff there.

Last edited by BrainEater; March 31, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old March 31, 2013, 02:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

BrainEater that is the exact same stuff I use in the 150g (5oz) tube stuff works great and I never run out
Old March 31, 2013, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yep.

--

I'm in the process of trying to write a simple 'thermal basics' post.

Old March 31, 2013, 02:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_friendly_gamer View Post
I would like something that wont fry my board if i get some on the motherboard itself by accident and is really good.
I'll second what someone else has already mentioned: mx-4 by arctic cooling. Really good thermal paste and electrically non-conductive, so it won't fry anything if it seeps out.

I buy a few tubes at a time from memoryexpress, they always seem to have it for the lowest regular price I can find, and their delivery is cheaper (at least it is for me here to Nova Scotia @ $5).
Old June 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
ooohkay.

I'll explain this again.

Thermal Interface Material or T.I.M. /heatsink paste/etc .... is designed to fill the microscopic scratches between mating thermal surfaces.It's not designed to correct mismatched surfaces or non-uniform clamping , etc.

Any properly designed /implemented thermal solution should be within tolerance without thermal compound !!

The mating surfaces need to be flat or 'pair lapped'....The clamping/mounting screws need the correct torque.

Start there!!....If you are getting 2 degree improvement with thick/expensive/highC compounds then there are other far more important issues....

I use Silicone Heat Transfer Compound | MG Chemicals

20$ buys you a lifetime supply !!

Don't buy the expensive stuff.It's a myth.You don't need it unless you have a warped HSF or cpu....

edit :

Here's a secret ;
Wakefield-Vette | A Global Leader in Thermal Solutions, End-to-End Services with Engineering, Manufacturing, and Supply Chain

Commercial thermal solutions.They have the engineering documentation of what I just said too.Check em out , lotta cool stuff there.

I believe you sir. I always used IC diamond 24. And I just ran out, so I just used some cooler thermal compound that comes with Hyper 212's and honestly my temps are pretty much the same. I am using a 3570K with a Prolimatech megahalems. No more buying expensive thermal compound. Thank you.
Old June 22, 2013, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just go for whatever is easy to apply and doesn't dry out easily. (so it's not impossible to take off the HSF after a few years) There's a reason why those insane Japanese researchers haven't really come up with radically new thermal compound formulas the past two decades.
Old June 23, 2013, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_friendly_gamer View Post
I believe you sir. I always used IC diamond 24. And I just ran out, so I just used some cooler thermal compound that comes with Hyper 212's and honestly my temps are pretty much the same. ......Thank you.
Cheers !

That's exactly how I learned that lesson the first time. The second time I learned it was when AS5 shorted a mobo out.....At that point I did my own tests , and a whooooole buncha reading.

You CAN use cheese.Or peanut butter.Both contain oil which is an effective TIM.

Here's the secret about T.I.M. for computers ;It's basically all hype !

There are 10,000x more commercial electronic components with higher heat density than CPU's , and none of them use anything more than commercial heat paste like the MG stuff.There is a reason for that.

Old June 26, 2013, 12:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

YFG, I've used the indigo thermal TIM and its AWESOME

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 780 3GB
2x 4GB G.Skills Trident X DD3-2400
NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black / Enermax Revolution 920W
A-DATA S510 120GB OS / A-DATA SX900 256GB Games / WD Black 1TB Misc

Canadian Eh ?