Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2012, 06:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think not buying hardware based soley on looks is outright silly to me. Or maybe im old, but isnt a pc about how it works instead of looks?
Old December 28, 2012, 07:03 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
I think not buying hardware based soley on looks is outright silly to me. Or maybe im old, but isnt a pc about how it works instead of looks?
why it can't be both ?
Old December 28, 2012, 09:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Functionality is still a primary concern. However, looks or aesthetics are important to those whom have to stare at said items for there duration.
It might not seem important to some, but they are in the minority.
An interesting way to validate that would be to poll for that very question on the colour of those fans. The results might suprise you.

That being said, nowadys even the Vaunted Noctua's have competition from many sources and if they don't do something soon to refresh their image , it could be a decent loss of market share.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
Allstar

when people say 'competitors', do they mean on the cooling performance side or the quietness side?

EDIT:

i know most other are of the other opinion, but i get kinda tired of looking at black fans. i mean, they're black and look identical to every other fan on the market - and that's pretty much it. the GTs are decent looking, but that's the only exception i'm aware of
Old December 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
when people say 'competitors', do they mean on the cooling performance side or the quietness side?

EDIT:

i know most other are of the other opinion, but i get kinda tired of looking at black fans. i mean, they're black and look identical to every other fan on the market - and that's pretty much it. the GTs are decent looking, but that's the only exception i'm aware of

I'd say both. Noctua had some nice airflow with quiet fans, and had some nice static pressure fans. Now there's a bunch of competitors which may look a lot better to more people. I actually just ordered two Corsair AF120's and a Corsair AF140 because the offered a nice change in looks compared to most.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am a bit of a silence freak and I love noctuas and have used their fans in a lot of builds. My CPU, Mobo and GPU are all liquid cooled, I only have SSDs and my PSU fan rarely kicks in, so my rad and case fans are the only thing making any noise at all. I recently switched my radiator fans to gentle typhoon 1150s and Corsair SP120 quiet edition fans. I run more radiator than I need specifically so that I can run slow, quiet fans and I am finding that the GTs and SPs are noticably louder than the Noctual P12s I was using (at 12v and even at 7v) and my temps are identical. Despite their horrible colour I just ordered 5 F12s to put on my radiators, but I still can't bring myself to use them where they are clearly visible. I must have 25+ different fans that I have tried (including many expensive ones), but to my ears, the noctuas are the quietest fans that put out a reasonable amount of air. I don't know if it's the actual SPL or just the frequency.

The only fan that has impressed me as much is the Fractal SSR2-140. I had bought a noctua P14 along with my array R2 so that I could replace the "crappy stock fan", but after testing both the fractal really is just as quiet and seems to move as much air as the noctua with both fans @ 800rpm, so I've got some SSR2-120s in the mail that should be arriving any day to test against the noctua F12s.

A few years ago I did take one apart and paint it and it looks so much better, though I don't know how the painted surface of the blades affects the air flow. I should have used matte black on the frame, but the green paint is UV active :) You can see it at the back of my spare rig. I may try this one one of my P12s and subjectively compare it to a non painted fan.

Also, I emailed Noctua one time just inquiring if they ever planned to sell different color schemed fans as theirs are horrible for windowed builds and here is their reply:

Quote:
thank you for contacting Noctua.

I'm sorry, but it is rather unlikely that we'll change our colour scheme. However you could consider the fans from our sister brand Coolink-Europe.
Link: Coolink - the cooler manufacturer

Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old December 28, 2012, 11:20 PM
Allstar

^ yes, I bought a fractal r4 with the intention of replacing the stock fans with s12bs....and then i realized i couldn't really hear them at their stock speed....

I'm a lot less sold on the F12s though, I had a build with two of them on an h80 and was very unimpressed with them at full speed. the client cared more about performance, so i never got the chance to run them with LNA.

mind you, I'm unhappy with a ULNAed P14 in a heavy ventilated case (sg07 w/ window).

EDIT:

little bit off topic, but is there any better combo for quietness (temps aren't a concern) than a define r4 with ULNA/LNA noctua fans?