Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default You know it is cold when...

Your computer is idling at 2C because you left the window open while you were out all day... I would do some overclocking but my fingers are numb.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I want to do some overclocking and benchmarking in my garage when it hits -30some haha
Old November 26, 2012, 04:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

are you talking about snow cooling? :P
Old November 26, 2012, 06:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Your computer is idling at 2C because you left the window open while you were out all day... I would do some overclocking but my fingers are numb.
What? You didn't put the gloves on and open 3Dmark 11?
Old November 26, 2012, 06:19 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

At that temperature, watch out for condensation when you bring it back to room temp.
Old November 26, 2012, 06:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
At that temperature, watch out for condensation when you bring it back to room temp.
Even when running you will need to be careful. Too low on the Mercury and you will have it happen in progress as you run.

Still, it is damn fun to do with cheap hardware if you ever get the chance to.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 26, 2012, 08:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

What do you guys recommend for this type of stuff?

My wife and I have a party this coming weekend and we have a big house but we also have 3 children so don't ever allow smoking for anyone (wife is a smoker I am not) in the house.

I usually setup a tower out in the garage, which is not heated and we have a stereo out there, an old crt 22" monitor, and a 36" old tube tv (the ones that can outlive us),

Since it will be cold I presume taking the tower from my house to garage and booting it up is fine. But when I take it back into the house let it sit for a day or so before plugging it in and firing it up?

Thanks guys!

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old November 26, 2012, 08:46 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post

My wife and I have a party this coming weekend and we have a big house but we also have 3 children so don't ever allow smoking for anyone (wife is a smoker I am not) in the house.

I usually setup a tower out in the garage, which is not heated and we have a stereo out there, an old crt 22" monitor, and a 36" old tube tv (the ones that can outlive us),

Since it will be cold I presume taking the tower from my house to garage and booting it up is fine. But when I take it back into the house let it sit for a day or so before plugging it in and firing it up?

Thanks guys!
When you bring it back in, open the case up and blow a fan towards it for 15-30 minutes. Having it sit for an entire day definitely shouldn't be needed.
Old November 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
GOOD ADVISE!
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 26, 2012, 09:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post

Thanks guys!

Tops and hour, all it needs to do is reach close enough to room temperature before you give it a go back inside.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com