Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   You know it is cold when... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/58116-you-know-cold-when.html)

JJThomp November 25, 2012 09:42 PM

You know it is cold when...
 
Your computer is idling at 2C because you left the window open while you were out all day... I would do some overclocking but my fingers are numb.

Ed103194 November 25, 2012 10:48 PM

I want to do some overclocking and benchmarking in my garage when it hits -30some haha

bliz November 26, 2012 04:00 AM

are you talking about snow cooling? :P

Pabz0r545 November 26, 2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJThomp (Post 673438)
Your computer is idling at 2C because you left the window open while you were out all day... I would do some overclocking but my fingers are numb.

What? You didn't put the gloves on and open 3Dmark 11?

SKYMTL November 26, 2012 06:19 AM

At that temperature, watch out for condensation when you bring it back to room temp.

Soultribunal November 26, 2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 673484)
At that temperature, watch out for condensation when you bring it back to room temp.

Even when running you will need to be careful. Too low on the Mercury and you will have it happen in progress as you run.

Still, it is damn fun to do with cheap hardware if you ever get the chance to.

-ST

trayton November 26, 2012 08:20 AM

What do you guys recommend for this type of stuff?

My wife and I have a party this coming weekend and we have a big house but we also have 3 children so don't ever allow smoking for anyone (wife is a smoker I am not) in the house.

I usually setup a tower out in the garage, which is not heated and we have a stereo out there, an old crt 22" monitor, and a 36" old tube tv (the ones that can outlive us),

Since it will be cold I presume taking the tower from my house to garage and booting it up is fine. But when I take it back into the house let it sit for a day or so before plugging it in and firing it up?

Thanks guys!

lowfat November 26, 2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trayton (Post 673505)
What do you guys recommend for this type of stuff?

My wife and I have a party this coming weekend and we have a big house but we also have 3 children so don't ever allow smoking for anyone (wife is a smoker I am not) in the house.

I usually setup a tower out in the garage, which is not heated and we have a stereo out there, an old crt 22" monitor, and a 36" old tube tv (the ones that can outlive us),

Since it will be cold I presume taking the tower from my house to garage and booting it up is fine. But when I take it back into the house let it sit for a day or so before plugging it in and firing it up?

Thanks guys!

When you bring it back in, open the case up and blow a fan towards it for 15-30 minutes. Having it sit for an entire day definitely shouldn't be needed.

Slik November 26, 2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 673484)
At that temperature, watch out for condensation when you bring it back to room temp.

GOOD ADVISE!

Soultribunal November 26, 2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trayton (Post 673505)
What do you guys recommend for this type of stuff?

My wife and I have a party this coming weekend and we have a big house but we also have 3 children so don't ever allow smoking for anyone (wife is a smoker I am not) in the house.

I usually setup a tower out in the garage, which is not heated and we have a stereo out there, an old crt 22" monitor, and a 36" old tube tv (the ones that can outlive us),

Since it will be cold I presume taking the tower from my house to garage and booting it up is fine. But when I take it back into the house let it sit for a day or so before plugging it in and firing it up?

Thanks guys!


Tops and hour, all it needs to do is reach close enough to room temperature before you give it a go back inside.

-ST


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 AM.