Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2012, 06:06 AM
Rookie

Default SYSFAN 1 - Is it safe?

Hello

I have just hooked up two corsair 120mm case fans which are rated at 0.09a, 23dbA and 37.85 cfm
They are hooked up to 'sysfan 1' using a splitter

Just asking if this is safe? I think ive worked out correctly that both fans at 12v=2.26w? Though im not sure how much the header can handle.

One last question, for some reason the splitter has two yellow (tache?) cables on it. Is it safe to cut one of them so i dont get erratic readings on the mb etc?

Thank you :)
Old November 17, 2012, 06:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Cut one,i'm not sure,but of course,the sysfan 1,2,3 or more are for the case fans,and they are all 3 pin connectors,

Don't worry,they are made for that,all PC fans are 12v i think,never seen fans that are not 12 volts.Just plug your fan in the 3 pin connector,it's made for that,for 12v fans,anyway, it's like the ATX standard : case + motherboard ,always holes for screws,it's the same with fans,any PC fan will work in a 3 pin connector, just plug it, it won't explode :D i have done that yesterday,so.... and i'm still alive

I'm afraid i don't know what do you mean by splitter,a fan should have 2wires that go in a 3pin female connector.

Edit:ok i didn't know splitters like that did exist,but it's exactly the same,anyway,it's a 3pin,it does not change anything,use it.

Anyway,if you were right, the result would be that the fans just would not start because of not enough power,would not damage anything,but if they made splitters like that,Don't worry it will work.Anyway,the 3pin connectors are the same on any mobo you can find today,same power.

If you are still afraid,i can understand that, just plug the splitter in a turned on computer,then plug a fan,and the other

Btw you are lucky to have a splitter,must be high end fans,because it only uses 1 connector so you can plug more fans! Great stuff!

Last edited by bliz; November 17, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old November 17, 2012, 06:43 AM
Rookie

Good to know you're still here! haha

But what I mean is I bought Startech 12 inch TX3 Fan Power Splitter Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
This means Ive plugged both 3pin fans into the splitter which is then attached to the sysfan 1 header. So in reality, 2 fans running on the one splitter.

So my question was meaning, will it be okay running two fans on the one header with the given amps-watt etc?

If it helps this is my mb - MSI Global ? Mainboard - 760GM-P21 (FX)

Thank You!
Old November 17, 2012, 06:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I believe if I remember correctly each header can handle upwards of 4W. So, You should be okay.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 17, 2012, 08:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

You should be fine. I use the same sort of connection to run 4 120 mm case fans on the corsair 600t mesh panel. I have an asus x79 sabertooth MB. I use the splitter to hook up 2 of the fans then plug into one sys fan header. I have been running the 4 fans like this for several months without issue.
Now if your worried maybe go this route.

Bitfenix Molex to 3 Fan Adapter 7V 20cm, Silver at Memory Express

p://www.hardfolding.com/fhtag.php/mem/7984290/26/1.png[/IMG][/url]