Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2012, 07:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Oh please tell me everything is ok

ok guys ,for the first time, i did something in my computer

I installed my new CPU cooler, it's extremely quiet and everything ,but the backplate was a bit high for the motherboard standoffs,what means that the motherboard is a bit bend only a bit ok ,like 2mm,and it's a bit higer at the CPU zone
Also,i did put a fingerprint of thermal paste at the back of the motherboard on the blue plastic,but it is very light
and i screwed the CPU cooler really hard i only used one hand to screw it but,really tight to the motherboard, i didn't want it to fall
You think it's ok?
Old November 16, 2012, 07:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
ok guys ,for the first time, i did something in my computer

I installed my new CPU cooler, it's extremely quiet and everything ,but the backplate was a bit high for the motherboard standoffs,what means that the motherboard is a bit bend only a bit ok ,like 2mm,and it's a bit higer at the CPU zone
Also,i did put a fingerprint of thermal paste at the back of the motherboard on the blue plastic,but it is very light
and i screwed the CPU cooler really hard i only used one hand to screw it but,really tight to the motherboard, i didn't want it to fall
You think it's ok?
There's no reason for the backplate of your new cooler to interfere with the installation of your motherboard in your case. There should be no standoffs anywhere near the CPU socket. Did you by any chance neglect to remove the stock cooler backplate?

Also, you applied thermal paste to the backplate? That is what I understand. No, you really don't have to do that at all. In fact, I've never heard of anyone doing that, so I'm not sure what the implications would be.

Read This and this.

It would help to know what CPU cooler you installed.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 16, 2012, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

The ultimate thing that would help is images. - I'm not sure what you mean myself either. The backplates are usually very thin in relation to the height of the standoffs, and there should be no standoffs in the area to interfere anyways. Again, images. Might be a bitch to obtain, but it would help with assessment. Motherboard do have a little flexibility to them, however.

He left a fingerprint of TP - nothing to worry over. Tight is also, good.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I think what he means, is that the standoffs aren't tall enough to allow the backplate to fit in the space between the motherboard and the tray, In which case, I echo GBA's question of whether or not the stock backplate was removed.

Thermal paste may or may not be a problem if you accidentally get it on your motherboard. If the thermal paste is conductive, and if you got it on exposed electrical traces or components, then you should make sure to remove it. If the thermal paste isn't conductive, or you got it on a non-electrical part, don't worry about it.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

OK,i meant accidental thermal paste print on the back of the motherboard ,because i had a bit on my fingers,but it's on a blue plastic part,with not metal at all but i cleaned it with my fingers, it's just a bit grey now, but it's almost invinsible.

strandoffs are not the problem,there was no default backplate,just a bright metal part at the back of the CPU,because i had a clip heatsink from intel, the problem is that the standoffs are not high enough for the new backplate i had to use ,and there is no hole for backplate with my computer case,so it's a bit bend, and the standoffs don't touch the back of the case,but only the new cooler backplate,that was made to mount AMD + intel,so ,this was not a flat backplate,but it's really just bend of 1 or 2mm. There was no prob to screw the backplate, just had to bend motherboard when i rescrewed it,Anyway;a motherboard looks rock solid.

One last thing,i plugged the fan of the cooler in a "sys fan" 3 pin connector,not the CPU fan controller (4 pin)
But it's a 120mm fan that uses a silencer (900rpm) so i think the fan speed is not programmed to vary,so i plugged it in a 3pin,the fan on the cooler is a 3 pin by default anyway, you think it's ok?
Old November 16, 2012, 08:16 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Fire it up and see. Should be okay. Don't over tighten anything on a computer. Finger tight is good enough.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ok i will OCCT to make sure it works.

OCCT medium data set ,peaks around 58c

Actually core 0 is 50c and core 3 is 56c and others are between.

Last edited by bliz; November 16, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay, that bright metal part would be the original stock HSF heatsink. You should be able to remove that before installing your new Heatsink, and then you shouldn't have any problems with clearance.

You may run into a 'no CPU fan' error when you boot up your computer. I would plug your 3-pin fan into the 4-pin fan header marked CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
OK,i meant accidental thermal paste print on the back of the motherboard ,because i had a bit on my fingers,but it's on a blue plastic part,with not metal at all but i cleaned it with my fingers, it's just a bit grey now, but it's almost invinsible.

strandoffs are not the problem,there was no default backplate,just a bright metal part at the back of the CPU,because i had a clip heatsink from intel, the problem is that the standoffs are not high enough for the new backplate i had to use ,and there is no hole for backplate with my computer case,so it's a bit bend, and the standoffs don't touch the back of the case,but only the new cooler backplate,that was made to mount AMD + intel,so ,this was not a flat backplate,but it's really just bend of 1 or 2mm. There was no prob to screw the backplate, just had to bend motherboard when i rescrewed it,Anyway;a motherboard looks rock solid.

One last thing,i plugged the fan of the cooler in a "sys fan" 3 pin connector,not the CPU fan controller (4 pin)
But it's a 120mm fan that uses a silencer (900rpm) so i think the fan speed is not programmed to vary,so i plugged it in a 3pin,the fan on the cooler is a 3 pin by default anyway, you think it's ok?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 16, 2012, 08:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

nope,i said no in the BIOS, will be no error,actually,if i plug it in the CPU fan thing,the speed will vary and it will be more noisy,as long as i peak at 57c in OCCT ,i think i will stay in a sys fan connector :) Thanks for everything!
Old November 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I also would like a picture and parts description. The way I am reading it you still have a stock backplate on..........or something.