Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2012, 05:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Is the stock Intel fan noisy?

hey guys, I have something really disturbing in my case, it's a fan that makes really loud noise on ilde at some angles ,i hear like some ultrasounds,well not really ultrasounds but the highest noise in my PC, do you think it's the intel fan? because i checked my 250mm fan, it's totally quiet and my cases's fans are also quiet,and i have silent wings in the PSU. All those fans just make air blowing noise so i was thinking about the intel fan, because it's small, or the GPU fans.

i tried to start computer without GPU power cables but i forgot that the PCIe gives energy to the card,and the funniest thing is that the card started with 100% fans but i'm too lazy to unscrew it etc...

So, do you know if it's the windforce fans on idle or the intel heatsink stock cooler that makes that noise? Actually you can't hear the noise, it's just after an hour you wanna say SHUT UP to the computer..

The noise is also making metallic resonance that oscillates... Can sombody tell me if the intel fan is noisy or if it only blows air? because im about to order a cooler master hyper 612 pwm...

and btw,there is still the noise when i turn gpu fans to 50%,same note. like FUUUUUFUUFUUUUUUUFUUUUUUUUFUFUFUFUFFUUFUUUUUUUU ( that's the noise you hear after an hour and you never forget it)
Old November 12, 2012, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

gpu fans are typically the loudest in a pc. Unless the intel heatsink is running at max you really can't hear it from my experience. When you turn the pc on the intel fan will spin fast and then slow down. You should be able to hear it.

My bet is that it is the video card. play with the fan speed. I use msi afterburner to control the fan.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At idle my stock i5 2500k fan (for the short time I tried it out) was inaudible behind undervolted 120mm case fans. (I believe I was using Scythe S-Flex fans back then.) You will hear the Intel fan at load though.

Does the sound change if you run a CPU stress test (e.g. IntelBurnTest) while doing nothing with the GPU? If there is no change in the sound, I'd check if the fan speed is correctly ramping up and down.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

OK guys i did a few tests, with my mic near the CPU and the GPU, it's actually the CPU that is whisteling.I guessed it because when i was raising the GPU fans it was same.bought a Coolermaster hyper 612S pwm

the only problem is that it's a bit too big for my case so i will remove the side fan and it will fit in it perfectly.

here is my test ,actually the card noise is not killing ears but the processor is whisteling and it's extremely bad to hear all the time, in this sound i just said what i was recording, for me^^ so you can see the noise of the intel fan^^ louder than dual fan of GPU.

the first thing recorded is the card, then the processor. the card noise level is quite the same but as you will hear it's not an ear killing noise, it's more bass noise and it's not disturbing at all, after the middle of the sound i test CPU noise.it's very closeup.
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (650.6 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by bliz; November 12, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Very interesting, I found the stock fan to be really quiet.. What case do you have?
Old November 19, 2012, 02:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yup i took a Coolermaster hyper 612s and now my computer is super quiet,btw,Linus also said that the stock intel fan was noisy,so...

case = Advance turboost.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The stock Intel cooler that came with my Core i7 920 D0 was pretty quiet.
Old November 20, 2012, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have a core i5-3570k, stock cooler is whisper quiet - I was surprised because I used AMD CPUs since the T-bird, and their fans were audible and some of them loud. My intel fan is whisper quiet, my GPU fan is also quiet. The loudest fans in my PC case are the antec dbb case fans (1 front, 1 side, 1 rear), if I turn them ALL off, it's whisper quiet, I can barely, if at all hear my Intel fan, at first I thought the fan was not working ! :D

If you are using case fans, these could be noisy depending on the fan and how secure they are to the case, or you simply ended up with a bad / noisy fan. If you have any case fans, unplug them all and keep only CPU ran running to rule out other sources of the noise. The stock intel fans should not be loud as you describe, never came across any :)
Old November 20, 2012, 08:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks,but i replaced it and it's half more quiet. that's all i wanted! there was no dirt in the stock fan,it was just noisy,i could hear it accelerate and everything,now it's quiet,my case fans are good, and GPU fans too :)

Before changing the fan, i tried to stop all fans, and it was not quiet at all,actually you have a recording up^^ you will see!

The 2500 fan must suck..
Old November 20, 2012, 10:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You should hear the sound of the fan on my old Athlon X2 5600, I had ordered 2 back then, one was noisy but acceptable, the other sounded like a 70,000 V transformer going through a grinder mixed with the sound of a jet engine grinding rust. I have gone through my fair share of noisy fans in my upgrade timeline. I must say now that I made the transition to Intel, core i5 3570k being my irtel CPU :D Must say I am impressed, got lucky have a whisper quiet fan - Wish I had that type of HSF on my old AMD CPUs.