Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   BitFenix Hydra Pro & Recon Fan Controllers Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/57331-bitfenix-hydra-pro-recon-fan-controllers-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL October 16, 2012 08:13 PM

BitFenix Hydra Pro & Recon Fan Controllers Review Comment Thread

Fan controllers may not be a marquee item within many enthusiasts’ systems but the power they grant over airflow within a case cannot be underestimated. BitFenix's Hydra Pro and Recon controllers hail from very different ends of the spectrum but they both grant end users complete control over their system fans.

Read (and watch) more here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...rs-review.html

JJThomp October 16, 2012 08:54 PM

I was watching this and i was like "damn I really want that recon so I can conrol my fan speeds on the go" and then I was like "oh wait I have no reason to do that". Pretty cool but unfortunately also pretty useless to me, I can definitely see how many folders would want it for when they go away and such.

Bloodystumps October 16, 2012 10:29 PM

I do agree that the screen size is a bit small I'll have to disagree that the viewing angle is as bad as you say it is , It may not be the best but I can read it at pretty much any angle .

The GUI is rather clunky IMO , I haven't spent a lot of time with it but to get the profiles set up was a pain and you are not the only one to have a browser reject it .

The build quality is good but they could have spent more time on the GUI and the USB cable could have been done better like maybe sleeve it so the damn ugly green / red/ white was covered and the USB could have been a bit longer for people using a full size case , also the 10 watts is rather disappointing.

I placed the FC in the top bay and my closest USB header was lower middle of my MOBO so I had to stretch the USB cable across everything . when I asked xbournex about it his reply was to spend $15 more on the Bitfenix USB extension cable.

xbournex October 17, 2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodystumps (Post 663215)
I do agree that the screen size is a bit small I'll have to disagree that the viewing angle is as bad as you say it is , It may not be the best but I can read it at pretty much any angle .

The GUI is rather clunky IMO , I haven't spent a lot of time with it but to get the profiles set up was a pain and you are not the only one to have a browser reject it .

The build quality is good but they could have spent more time on the GUI and the USB cable could have been done better like maybe sleeve it so the damn ugly green / red/ white was covered and the USB could have been a bit longer for people using a full size case , also the 10 watts is rather disappointing.

I placed the FC in the top bay and my closest USB header was lower middle of my MOBO so I had to stretch the USB cable across everything . when I asked xbournex about it his reply was to spend $15 more on the Bitfenix USB extension cable.

Bloody,

If you like to use internet explorer, you will have to download Google Chrome Extensions for Internet Explorer.
I suggested to use a USB extension. USB extensions (Sleeved) costs $7.99, not $15. There are cheaper alternatives without Alchemy sleeving, but you'd then be unhappy about the even worse multi color cables.

With the limited amount of real estate on the PCB board, 10W is the maximum you could throw on it with its IC chips. It already is packed.

Bloodystumps October 17, 2012 05:04 AM

I`ve never said I like IE .... ewwww!!!!!!!! who says that anyway that is like saying I like eating crap while reading the internet .

I primarily us FF but on my gaming rig and I have to use Chrome for the moment till I figure why FF is being grumpy but I did try IE to get the FC to work , it did work with chrome right out of the box then decided to cease to function a short time after, for that reason and because the GUI was clunky I tried all the browsers.

Quote:

With the limited amount of real estate on the PCB board, 10W is the maximum you could throw on it with its IC chips. It already is packed
I am holding the Recon in one hand and the Lamptron FCT in the other the size is the same PCBs are the same dimension are the same and when I picked the Recon box up at the store when my FCT screen failed and I needed a FC the specs were the same too 30 watts per chan! it wasn`t till I got home that it magically turned into a 10 watt FC .

You are correct it is about $7.99 plus tax which is about $10 but the added drive time to go back and get it was more like a added $20 so I was wrong it cost me $30 not $15 . so now I have spent extra money so I don`t have the Italian flag running across my motherboard and now have a foot of nicely sleeved extra cable I have to find a way to hide because you couldn`t make it a bit longer:doh:

ok now that i`m done trying to bust you balls :biggrin:

The unit it very well built the PCB looks like someone spent some time on it with care I have said this before , the touch screen works great and has little to no light bleeding past the bezel .

I like the unit that is why it is still in my case and the replacment Lamptron is still in the box unopened ( ok I opened it to check if it was all there and to my surprise all the cables were sleeved )

Mena October 17, 2012 05:07 AM

I hate to be a spelling Nazi but there are spelling errors in the first paragraph.

Quote:

BitFenix is busy making an iron clad name for themselves in the enclosure market but they’ve also released a pair of adaptable fan controllers: the entry level Hyrda Pro and the innovative Recon.

Soultribunal October 17, 2012 05:19 AM

Its not the end of the world for only having 10W per channel. The only time I can see an issue is if you happen to be a rare case using Delta or San Ace fans. Since there are certain types of those fans that run up to 31W :)

Otherwise they are decent controllers.

-ST

Bloodystumps October 17, 2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 663267)
Its not the end of the world for only having 10W per channel. The only time I can see an issue is if you happen to be a rare case using Delta or San Ace fans. Since there are certain types of those fans that run up to 31W :)

Otherwise they are decent controllers.

-ST

Nope not the end of the world but I was looking to have my heat exchanger fans run up at the same time at the same speed and with 2 Heat exchnagers that is 6 fans on a 5 fan controller and what if I wanted PP on each heat exchanger that is 12 fans or 3 controllers

xbournex October 17, 2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodystumps (Post 663262)
I`ve never said I like IE .... ewwww!!!!!!!! who says that anyway that is like saying I like eating crap while reading the internet .

I primarily us FF but on my gaming rig and I have to use Chrome for the moment till I figure why FF is being grumpy but I did try IE to get the FC to work , it did work with chrome right out of the box then decided to cease to function a short time after, for that reason and because the GUI was clunky I tried all the browsers.

I am holding the Recon in one hand and the Lamptron FCT in the other the size is the same PCBs are the same dimension are the same and when I picked the Recon box up at the store when my FCT screen failed and I needed a FC the specs were the same too 30 watts per chan! it wasn`t till I got home that it magically turned into a 10 watt FC .

You are correct it is about $7.99 plus tax which is about $10 but the added drive time to go back and get it was more like a added $20 so I was wrong it cost me $30 not $15 . so now I have spent extra money so I don`t have the Italian flag running across my motherboard and now have a foot of nicely sleeved extra cable I have to find a way to hide because you couldn`t make it a bit longer:doh:

ok now that i`m done trying to bust you balls :biggrin:

The unit it very well built the PCB looks like someone spent some time on it with care I have said this before , the touch screen works great and has little to no light bleeding past the bezel .

I like the unit that is why it is still in my case and the replacment Lamptron is still in the box unopened ( ok I opened it to check if it was all there and to my surprise all the cables were sleeved )

FTC and Recon PCB's are built differently. It's not really about PCB dimensions. It's density and how many paths it has. One has a chip to talk to a computer, one doesn't. LED switches are another path. For each channel, for each temperature probe, it all must go through that chip on top of it's standard route. That alone takes up 2x the path + the IC on a PCB than the standard path. 30W channels use huge caps.

I hate arguing, but your gas money doesn't affect the retail price of a cable. Some retailers have a base price before you get free shipping, and if gas takes you $20 to pick it up, you're better off paying for shipping. If we wanted to be even more technical, taxes and shipping costs are actually filed under another account in accounting books, separate from the price of the product :ph34r:

If you're up for a new spin, try a beta GUI:
Phoebetria | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

Bloodystumps October 17, 2012 05:39 AM

oh hell I forgot about the chip on the Recon and yea the two are very different I understand that .

LOL the only reason I added gas well one I was busting on you and two I was just at the store and didn`t know that I needed it so it was another hour drive to the hood , which means putting the flak jacket back on reloading all the guns , well you know how it is when you go to the city how long it takes to get prepared .