Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2012, 09:55 PM
Rookie

Default Fan Controller--In This Case, A Solution Looking for a Problem?!? . . .

I have been trying to decide between two fan controllers for my new build in a 650D case (Bitfenix Recon and Lamptron Touch). Now however, I am begining to wonder if maybe I have been trying to apply a solution where there might not really be a problem.

I am not doing any major overclocking, I will be using a CPU cooler and "silent" fans. My primary reason for the fan controller was to be able to reduce case noise on occasion as the case will sit on my desk and I spend A LOT of time at my desk for work--the noise from my current case can get tiresome. But perhaps this won't really be a problem anyway. (As an aside, it would aslo be nice to be able to easily keep track of case temperatures).

Is adding a fan controller in this case adding complication (or potential failure point & additional heat source) where it is not needed?

Thanks for the help with this!
Old October 6, 2012, 10:12 PM
Allstar

if you use core temp, you can put it into your system tray and get the current highest core temp, the CPU utilization %, and the current frequency. If that's good enough for you of course...

personally, I recommended you try out the system without the controller first. it shouldn't be too big of a deal to simply add one in later.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

here is a discussion on both of them .. LINK

I do own both and I think the Recon is better in function and looks /quality .. and yes you could be adding complications and heat .

also note that the Lamptron FCT does not fit proper in a 5 1/4 drive bay and will take a bit of modding or tweaking
Old October 7, 2012, 01:48 AM
Allstar

dear god....bitfenix is just plain ******* awesome
Old October 7, 2012, 02:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The 650D has a built in fan controller
Old October 8, 2012, 12:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
The 650D has a built in fan controller
Thank you very much everyone for your replies--they are all very helpful!

As far as the built-in fan controller on the 650D . . . Yes--but I have read numerous complaints that this little 2-3 setting switch ceases to function after a fairly short period of time . . . does not sound particularly robust. This was one of the reasons why I intitially began looking into another controller option. But thanks for mentioning this.

Still debating . . . but I may take the advice of holding off for now and seeing how much of an issue the noise is. Ideally, not having a FC means one less potential damaging break down issue (if FC stopped working while I was away from PC and temp. spiked) and one less source of heat.

Thank you everyone for your help . . . I really appreciate it!
Old October 8, 2012, 01:39 PM
Allstar

i REALLY don't think you can count a fan controller as a source of heat...?
Old October 8, 2012, 03:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
i REALLY don't think you can count a fan controller as a source of heat...?
A lot of FC have heatsinks mounted to the power MOSFET's but I imagine that the heat would be minimal. but still would be a source and if you added a ton of fans it may be a significant source