Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2012, 07:09 PM
MVP

Default Holy moly another thread about fan postions

I have an MSI Interceptor Nighthawk case(its a pos dont buy it) that has alot of fan options.

Currently I have a closed loop liquid cooler on my cpu in a 120mm push/pull currently blowing out the rear of the case.The only fan blowing out.

There are 2x120mm fans on the side of my case, positioned in the middle of the side panel vertically blowing in.
There are also 2x120mm fans on the top blowing down into the case.

One more 120mm blowing into the case from the front bottom.

I also have a 80mm spot fan blowing onto the chipset inside the case.

i7 960 @ 4.01ghz 1.4v qpi 1.42v
temps are currently:
40c idle
80c load with prime95

Should I make any rearrangements to maximize cooling? Any advice is appreciated.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With the current fan configuration of your system, you have positive airflow in your case, meaning more cool air is going in than being exhausted. I think that positive airflow is widely regarded as being the best way to cool your system, and if the intakes are filtered, then the incoming air will be free of dust. If you have more exhaust fans than intake then this creates a negative pressure and you will inadvertantly be sucking in non filtered air from the cracks in the case - bad! But to increase airflow in your case you could look at adding another 120mm as an exhaust. You want the air to go in the front and leave the back and/or top. This will improve air flow through the case.

But on another note: Your voltages look perhaps a bit high for a 4.0 ghz overclock on that chip. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but certainly a 960 can do 4.0 ghz on not more than 1.3x Vcore?? Maybe look at fine tuning those voltages.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
With the current fan configuration of your system, you have positive airflow in your case, meaning more cool air is going in than being exhausted. I think that positive airflow is widely regarded as being the best way to cool your system, and if the intakes are filtered, then the incoming air will be free of dust. If you have more exhaust fans than intake then this creates a negative pressure and you will inadvertantly be sucking in non filtered air from the cracks in the case - bad! But to increase airflow in your case you could look at adding another 120mm as an exhaust. You want the air to go in the front and leave the back and/or top. This will improve air flow through the case.

But on another note: Your voltages look perhaps a bit high for a 4.0 ghz overclock on that chip. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but certainly a 960 can do 4.0 ghz on not more than 1.3x Vcore?? Maybe look at fine tuning those voltages.
yes that seems really high. Try these below with LLC disabled. I am running a single 1900 rpm scythe slip stream fan on a prolimatech megahalems and its not bad. When gaming my max temp is like 56-57 degrees and when folding 63-64 degrees.
Attached Images

Old September 17, 2012, 04:01 AM
MVP

The thing is with my board I don't get to set the voltage I only get to set a limit on how much more it can use. I have it set to +0.21v. I haven't fiddled with it too much yet as I was only able to get it stable at 4ghz yesterday. My qpi voltage is set for 1.42v, its still well within safe limits for my board and seems to be around where I need it for stability. If I have it less than 1.38 I get bsod in prime95 after about 10mins.

As for fan positions and making 1 more fan exhaust, which one should I set to exhaust rather than intake? The top rear fan? There are no empty fan slots left. There is only one on the rear of the case which is already exhaust. I take it the best bet would be to use the one above it and set that to exhaust as well?

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.
Old September 17, 2012, 04:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would swap the top fans to exhaust. The hot air inside your case will be trying to rise and you have fans attempting to blow it back down, which is likely causing turbulence and poor airflow patterns.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old September 17, 2012, 05:27 AM
MVP

I'm a bit weary of making both of them my only exhaust as there are several obstacles before the air can be exhausted. First theres a plastic mesh of 1cm squares, them theres a foam dust filter and then a painted screen/mesh before the air would exit the box. I can remove the plastic mesh and foam without much effort I suppose but would it be significantly better than having the top rear and rear case fan as exhausts? Ill do it if you think there will be a noticable difference. This case is a pos so I dont mind hacking it up if needed.
Old September 17, 2012, 10:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would say with side and top intaking in you got tons of air eddies in there and dead zones for heat. Flip the top ones the Exhaust and see what happens.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
MVP

I ripped the top off my case, tossed the foam and flipped the fans on top to exhaust and on my cpus radiator to intake. Seems to be working alright. I do need to get an identical pair for the top but its working good so far. I'll have to order a couple more blue Coolermaster 120mms to match the rest of the fans. They work decent enough especially for $4 price matched.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:01 AM
MVP

Ok so all has been running well for the last few days. temps are much better. I also tweaked my oc a bit to bring temps down a tad so now I'm well within happy temp limits.

I do have one issue though that I would like to get some advice on. Now that I've switched my rad fans to intake rather than exhaust they are alot noisier. Normally I run all my fans at 100% and I put my rad fans on the board rather than my fan controller. For some reason speedfan won't let me adjust their speed anymore since I updated my bios either. It seems the noise comes from where the fan is mounted to the case, the rear fan mount is one of those round mesh type deals with many small circular holes. I believe thats where the noise comes from as it seems to be causing a bit of a low lvl whistling effect.
Curious if there is some sort of spacer or anything else I can put there to cut down on the whistling effect? If I put my hand close to the intake without touching it the noise goes away slightly. I have a fan filter that I installed to see if that helps, it does to a minimal degree. What would be my options here? Some sort of spacer? Get different fans? Currently I am using 2x Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC 120mm Blue LED Case Fan 2000RPM 69CFM 19DBA on my rad as intake. They work quite well in the other intake/exhaust positions without any whistling effect.