Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Re: Thermalright IFX-10 review (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/5668-re-thermalright-ifx-10-review.html)

Caznoob April 19, 2008 01:22 PM

Re: Thermalright IFX-10 review

Hey there everyone this is my first post here :D I really like the reviews done here and finally decided to make an account. I was wondering exactly how high the IFX-10 stands up above the motherboard. I have a Tt Kandalf LCS and would really like to add some extra case bling and if it helps my OC even a little it's justifiable. I already have the HR-11 video card backside cooler and it helps 2-3 degrees. Anyhow I was also wondering if that mounting hardware for this backside cooler would work with my waterblock (Swiftech Apogee GT). Thanks for any help you can provide.

James_8970 April 19, 2008 11:02 PM

You need 70mm of space above the motherboard according Thermalright's website. I had to check myself because I wanted to place it into my TJ07-BW, however it doesn't seem like it'll fit (I'll be ~15mm short).
James

Cptn Vortex April 20, 2008 12:58 AM

I have seen some people bend the cooler down, so that it clears in smaller cases. In effect, you can then mount a fan blowing down onto the RAM, therefore reducing RAM temps!

SKYMTL April 20, 2008 07:47 AM

I have seen this as well but it involves heating up the heatpipes so they can bend easier.

James_8970 April 20, 2008 09:07 AM

Hhhhmmmm, for $25 and 3 degrees less on load it's a tempting little project.
James

Caznoob April 20, 2008 06:07 PM

Thanks James that happens to be roughly the same case for my Kandalf not quite enough room. That does sound like an interesting method to make it fit. I have a heat gun for bending and melting plastics in my garage, do you think that would make the heatpipe hot enough to bend or would I need to use a torch? Also, would the bending process destroy the coating on the pipes? I wouldn't want my bling to end up looking hideous lol.

James_8970 April 20, 2008 06:31 PM

If you do this you need to be very careful, the only thing I'm worried about is making a hole, cause then you are screwed. I plan on using a blow torch from a distance and progressively heating it up and then taking a break to verify if I have applied enough heat, another thing to look out for would be the fact that you could likely collapse the pipe if you apply to much heat, how much that would be I don't know, but it'd probably be within a blow torches capacity if you were not paying attention.

Quote:

I have a heat gun for bending and melting plastics in my garage, do you think that would make the heatpipe hot enough to bend or would I need to use a torch?
There is really only one way to find out, by apply heat and then bending it yourself, if it's not hot enough with the heat gun (I can't see why this wouldn't be good enough), then up the anti. That being said, keep in mind that this is relatively thin metal and won't require much to heat up.

Quote:

Also, would the bending process destroy the coating on the pipes?
I don't know what others are doing as google isn't producing any results for me, but if I attempt this, I'll be bending the part of the heat pipe that is behind the motherboard. Bending will likely affect the coating as I'm pretty sure there is some form of nickel coating on here, but the way I see it is if no one sees anything no one will know but the person who performed the mod them self.
James

Caznoob April 20, 2008 06:37 PM

This sounds like a very tempting thing to try especially for such a low price. I was wondering about the backplate if it would cause issues with my waterblock also. What heatsink / waterblock will do you have James?

James_8970 April 20, 2008 06:44 PM

I have a FuZion. Unless your heatsink/waterblock uses some kind of a funky backplate that is absoluty required I cannot see anyone really coming into any kind of issue, but I may be wrong.

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im.../ifx/acces.jpg
Because my FuZion is only bolted down, I can pretty well guareentee I won't encounter any problems. The only place I thought someone would come into some kind of a problem would be those with a pushpin heatsink. Luckily AKG had a stock heatsink and had the following to say:
Quote:

While all of this is interesting, what really stood out was the inclusion of the four screws and a brief mention on in the pamphlet about it being compatible with any pushpin cooler.
James

3.0charlie April 20, 2008 07:00 PM

If you do bend it using heat, be careful. The IFX-10 cooler I got with the IFX-14 HSF has a bonded clear plastic protection on top of it, to make sure that the board components do not come in contact with the metal. You'd better remove it, and find a way to bond it afterwards.