Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you have never heard of heavy coolers bending boards....You must be fairly new to building PCs. It is RARE but it happens. Google is your friend. Ive been building PCs since the 80s. Shite happens. Hell I havent even seen all the wonders of tech gremlins that can bite a person on the arse. AND hope to NEVER seem them all...but bent mobos is one of the ones I have seen first hand...a couple times. :(

I dont care how YOU use your cooler. BUT Last time I checked....a D14 with even ONE fan still falls into the '2-3 pound' category....just like I said in my off hand snarky remark. IDK, but that pesky English to Metric conversion can be tough. I get it wrong all the time too :)

Let me be perfectly clear here: I. Do. Not. Care. What. You. Use.

That may sound blunt but it is true. Everyone has their own particular requirements. ALL are valid. Peace of mind can be priceless....BUT air vs water units are designed for different people. You fall in to the former and not the latter camp. BUT dont come off as saying that peeps that fall into the latter are wrong. Both are valid POVs.

Dont like the Corsair units. Fine. Its a free country. No one is putting a gun to your head and making you use it. Thats how the free market works.

The Antec's are mighty fine kit. The Corsairs are excellent kit too. So too is the D14. It all boils down to which flavour of awesome you want to have. ALL have their own minor annoyances, risks and rewards. Saying one is perfect and the others suck because of X or Y or Z is foolish.

Ive tried twice to point this out to you. This makes it 3 times. There wont be a 4th.

Honestly YMMV.

Edit:
@ FG. For low noise a D14 is hard to beat (Im like you and also LOVE my Mega coolers. what a great design they are!). I personally like the H80 with low noise fans for my game rigs (my 580 is louder). But a D14 with its stock fans is damn near SILENT. Sorry to hear you had a rough go of it.

edit 2:
Did you try swapping out the fans for some lower noise ones? I find that 1500-1600 FDB fans on a H80 is pretty darn low noise solution for most moderate OCed rigs.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old August 4, 2012, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have used 4 liquid coolers,and never had one leak. I have a few friends that used liquid coolers since they were first introduced with no one ever having a leak. Water coolers on the other hand,have been known to leak,but that points directly at how they were installed and maintained. Liquid coolers need no maintainance. Do it properly,and you'll never have a problem.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 4, 2012, 02:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
If you have never heard of heavy coolers bending boards....You must be fairly new to building PCs. It is RARE but it happens. Google is your friend. Ive been building PCs since the 80s. Shite happens. Hell I havent even seen all the wonders of tech gremlins that can bite a person on the arse. AND hope to NEVER seem them all...but bent mobos is one of the ones I have seen first hand...a couple times. :(

I dont care how YOU use your cooler. BUT Last time I checked....a D14 with even ONE fan still falls into the '2-3 pound' category....just like I said in my off hand snarky remark. IDK, but that pesky English to Metric conversion can be tough. I get it wrong all the time too :)

Let me be perfectly clear here: I. Do. Not. Care. What. You. Use.

That may sound blunt but it is true. Everyone has their own particular requirements. ALL are valid. Peace of mind can be priceless....BUT air vs water units are designed for different people. You fall in to the former and not the latter camp. BUT dont come off as saying that peeps that fall into the latter are wrong. Both are valid POVs.

Dont like the Corsair units. Fine. Its a free country. No one is putting a gun to your head and making you use it. Thats how the free market works.

The Antec's are mighty fine kit. The Corsairs are excellent kit too. So too is the D14. It all boils down to which flavour of awesome you want to have. ALL have their own minor annoyances, risks and rewards. Saying one is perfect and the others suck because of X or Y or Z is foolish.

Ive tried twice to point this out to you. This makes it 3 times. There wont be a 4th.

Honestly YMMV.

Edit:
@ FG. For low noise a D14 is hard to beat (Im like you and also LOVE my Mega coolers. what a great design they are!). I personally like the H80 with low noise fans for my game rigs (my 580 is louder). But a D14 with its stock fans is damn near SILENT. Sorry to hear you had a rough go of it.

edit 2:
Did you try swapping out the fans for some lower noise ones? I find that 1500-1600 FDB fans on a H80 is pretty darn low noise solution for most moderate OCed rigs.
Thanks AKG, yea with 920, I am going to use a couple of scythe fans at 1500 rpm as you suggested, I really dont wanna sell it, its a mighty fine unit and comes with a free software for controling everything from windows!

Also, can I please request that when you get a chance, do a review on cooler master TPC 812?

Thanks for everything AKG, I really love all your reviews, specially the air coolers, I think I have read them all and understand them well!
Old August 4, 2012, 04:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
Go for an antec kuhler 620, I have one installed on my graphics card lol works great and the stock fan is not to noisy.
The reason I ask about the h70 is because I'm worried the 620 won't be enough to cool my processor which is the amd 955. Currently I have to even undervolt it in order to get within the safe operating temperature of 62C. This is with the coolit eco with 2 noctua fans on it. The processor at regular voltage goes above 62C when playing games. Since the 620 is the same slim style radiator, it might not be enough. How much better would the h70 be compared to the coolit and antec?
Old August 4, 2012, 04:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert View Post
The reason I ask about the h70 is because I'm worried the 620 won't be enough to cool my processor which is the amd 955. Currently I have to even undervolt it in order to get within the safe operating temperature of 62C. This is with the coolit eco with 2 noctua fans on it. The processor at regular voltage goes above 62C when playing games. Since the 620 is the same slim style radiator, it might not be enough. How much better would the h70 be compared to the coolit and antec?
I would recommend getting a 920 over H70 or H80. H70 and 80 use the same radiator I think but H80 comes with 2 fans. However the radiator on Antec Kuhler 920 is thicker, also comes with 2 2400rpm fans and comes with software for windows to control fan speeds, pump, etc etc. On the other hand, for COrsair you have to purchase it. Send me a message if you are interested in a 920, I have one, which I used for less than 6 hours total and comes with everything.
Old September 11, 2012, 11:40 PM
Allstar

...oh, I never realized the H80 was louder than the NH D14 (i'm assuming we're talking about stock fans here). If I put 2 NH F12s on each, would they be comparable?

personally, I like the aesthetic of a giant hunk of metal on the motherboard? whats more badass than that? its the monster-truck aesthetic :D