Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2012, 11:40 AM
Rookie

How is the pump noise on this unit? I'm thinking of switching to a h70 since the pump noise on my coolit eco unit is really annoying.
Old August 3, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It would be worth your while to consider tha Antec H20 620. If you want a quiet and efficient liquid cooler that will beat the hell out of the H 70 or H80,the 620 is the one. I had the H80 and the H100,but found them way too noisy. I switched to Antec and have no regrets at all. The Antec is VERY quiet compared to Corsair,and keeps the CPU as cool or even a few degrees cooler. Software provided with the Antec lets you customize or pre-set fan speeds etc.and also has a "quiet" mode that really works and is really really quiet. Even during marathon gaming,my CPU temps with the Antec H20 920 that I have in my Level 10,stay around 60c.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5

Last edited by Slik; August 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: error
Old August 3, 2012, 01:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
It would be worth your while to consider tha Antec H20 620. If you want a quiet and efficient liquid cooler that will beat the hell out of the H 70 or H80,the 620 is the one. I had the H80 and the H100,but found them way too noisy. I switched to Antec and have no regrets at all. The Antec is VERY quiet compared to Corsair,and keeps the CPU as cool or even a few degrees cooler. Software provided with the Antec lets you customize or pre-set fan speeds etc.and also has a "quiet" mode that really works and is really really quiet. Even during marathon gaming,my CPU temps with the Antec H20 920 that I have in my Level 10,stay around 60c.
This is sound advice.

Antec and Intel have both sourced hardware designed by Asetek.

Old August 3, 2012, 01:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

and your point is? Maintain it properly, take care when working on the cp and the possibility of them leaking is negligible and the gains of even just the AIO watercoolers outweigh the negatives
Old August 3, 2012, 05:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yes but its been shown how much they've improved and how sturdy they are. Yes theres a possibility it MIGHT leak, but thats the same with custom setups. Can we work on them? no but you can still make sure every now n then that it checks out. AIO's are a nice alternative to giant air towers for that very reason. They dont take up space and cool as effectively (in most cases some are better than others but the point is the same)
Old August 3, 2012, 06:29 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

And a counter point to the "omg they may leak" is....installing a two - three pound cooler means your mobo MAY break. They sure as shite will BEND over time under all that weight. Yes that is silly, but a leak in a modern AIO WC cooler is about as likely as a broken mobo from going WAY over the Intel / AMD socket design weight limit. If you want to be truly safe....run the Intel stock cooler or stay under (IIRC) 550 grams INCLUDING the fan. Otherwise it is ALL risk vs reward. Pick your poison and cowboy up....or dont OC and run stock.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 3, 2012, 09:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippWhapp View Post
This is sound advice.

Antec and Intel have both sourced hardware designed by Asetek.
The corsair h70 is listed under asetek's website. Should I go with that one?
Old August 3, 2012, 10:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Go for an antec kuhler 620, I have one installed on my graphics card lol works great and the stock fan is not to noisy.
Old August 4, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

/sigh some people dont get sarcasm at all.

No Im saying that if you look on the worst case scenarios for ALL things...then yeah it and any heavy cooler is a bad thing(TM) to use. Is it a silly way to look at it...yes. Just like worrying about a leak from an AIO sealed unit is pretty silly. Leaks happen. So do bent mobos. Life goes on. Both are unlikely. Both risks have been mitigated as much as possible by the mfg'ers and GOOD ENGINEERING. Heavy coolers have heavy duty backplates to spread the load. Sealed units are SEALED and LEAK TESTED at the factory.

Worrying about either IS thinking in 'sky is falling' mode. If you want to be 100% 'safe'. Use neither. Use a light weight CPU cooler instead. I do that in a lot of builds for other people. Just like I use sealed units, D14s and many other of the power house coolers in other rigs. All depends on the build and the intended useage for the customer.

I like the D14 a LOT. I like the H80 more. Guess which one is installed in my personal rig and which one went to a fellow HWC staff member.

For the record...the D14 w/ 3 fans falls into the "2-3 pound" category.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 4, 2012, 11:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

NH-D14 with fans is 1240 grams or 1.24kilos or 2.73 pounds as AKG said:

http://www.noctua.at/pdf/infosheets/...tasheet_en.pdf

I personally love my prolimatech megha and i have used H80, its loud as **** and also recently picked up an Antec 920 and again it's loud as ****. I went back to prolimatech megahalems and couldnt be happier. I sold the H80 on a loss and looks like I will be selling the 920 on a loss as well.

I love the ideas of the sealed liquid coolers but they are expensive and on top of that, if you dont want them loud as **** then you gotta spend another 50 bucks to get the noctua's fans and to me it's not worth it.

And i bought the megalems after reading AKG's review and actually I asked like a couple of years ago now and I really thank you AKG for that. I have done some oc's with it, and I really love it.